CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Windows 10 USB CDC Drivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinley

Windows 10 USB CDC Drivers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I have an existing project that has/does run on Windows XP, Vista & 7. I have tried on Windows 10 and it says 'Device cannot start (error code 10).

PIC18F2550

I have tried recompiling with 5.080

checked usb\vid 2405 & pid 000b

I have tried uninstalling and forcing installing the drivers which came with this version of compiler.

I have removed any overwriting of string descriptors, so all just standard CCS files.

And latest compile still works on Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated please?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 am     Reply with quote

The drivers are in the drivers directory. Subdirectory there has the driver files for NT etc..
You need the version from a recent compiler. Post May, MS tightened the driver signing requirements, so older drivers may not contain the signing required. So go into this directory on your 5.081, right click on the .inf file, and select install. It sounds as if your system may have the older drivers installed so is not asking you for drivers, but is then refusing to run them because they don't meet the newer signing requirements.
You say you have uninstalled the drivers, but the Windows registry data may be selecting the older version.
tinley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:15 am     Reply with quote

Thank you.

Unfortunately it seems our maintenance is out of date by 2 weeks, so I can't download the 5.081. I have just purchased a renewal but have to wait for them to process it, hopefully later today when they get in.

So, can I please confirm that the drivers in 5.080 (dated 2016) are no longer valid and they have been updated in version 5.081?

Whichever way I try to install the drivers that came with 5.080, I still get the same error code 10.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 am     Reply with quote

No. 5.080 is fine. It is versions dating back quite a lot longer that have problems.

Have you tried doing the install using the 'right click' method?. Windows is very 'odd' in how it refuses sometimes to update things. I've seen it being told to update drivers, and yet if you check in the system, what is being loaded is still the older version. Try copying the two driver files out of the PICC drivers directory, to somewhere else, and install from there. Windows has this security system now where certain types of access to anything in the Program Files hierarchy is sometimes virtualised and no longer accesses the real files, but an 'archive' copy.... :(
tinley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:36 am     Reply with quote

Yes, I did that after your first reply. Since my last post I have gone to a new Windows 10 machine which has never had a CCS CDC connected and also tried right click installing the same driver (dated 11 July 2016 but downloaded with CCS 5.080 on 8/8/2018).

Same thing is happening, error code 10. The drivers appear to have loaded. There appears to be a problem with the device, but it is happy working on a Vista or Win 7 machine.

I do really appreciate your help on this, thank you!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 am     Reply with quote

OK. That's ruled out my next suggestion.... I was going to suggest that you uninstalled the driver completely, then rebooted and started again with a clean install.

OK. Gets stranger. I have a W10 64bit install here that I've never installed the CCS drivers onto. Took a copy of the 5.080 drivers on a memory stick. Installed the drivers, and plugged on a card using a PIC1826J50, with the VID_2405 CDC device. Merrily loaded and is seen. Came up as COM10 and works OK. Duh!...

That's a recent version of Windows (Version 1803).
Hope it is not the latest update to 1809 that is causing issues. What is your version number?.
tinley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 am     Reply with quote

It is great to know that the drivers I have are working with Windows 10 with a similar PIC and presumably the same usb.c sub/libraries. So thank you very much for that.

I will start a project from scratch to try and prove the drivers.

Thank you!
tinley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:18 am     Reply with quote

New project worked from scratch Embarassed It was all to do with the legacy fuses that I was using. So apologise that I didn't try setting up a new project in the first place, but since this project runs on Win XP, Vista, 7 & 8 and used to run on Win 10, I wasn't expecting it to be the fuses! I have also had to increase the WDT timeout for Win 10, but not for Win 7 and I think some other quirks are lurking now.

These are the settings that do work:

#fuses WDT1024
#use delay(clock=48MHz,crystal=8MHz,USB_FULL)

Thank you again for your help.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 am     Reply with quote

Very Happy

I was starting to get worried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: