CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MPLAB-X fails on Windows 10 but not on Windows 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLScott

MPLAB-X fails on Windows 10 but not on Windows 7
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I recently had to move all my development from a Win 7 computer to a new Win 10 system. Both MPLAB-8 and MPLAB-X were working with their respective plugins in the Windows 7 computer. On Windows 10 only MPLAB-8 works. MPLAB-X first shows a pop-up error window: PIC C Compiler / Invalid option: +EX. Then the output window shows this:

Code:
make -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Bob/PicMicro/AutoWater/AutoWater.X'
make  -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk dist/default/production/AutoWater.X.production.hex
make[2]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Bob/PicMicro/AutoWater/AutoWater.X'
gnumkdir -p build/default/production/_ext/1472
gnumkdir -p dist/default/production
"C:\PROGRA~2\PICC\CCSCON.exe"  out="build/default/production\_ext\1472"  ../main.c +FH +DF +CC +Y=9 +EA +DF +LN +T +A +M +J +EA +Z -P #__18LF1320=1
make[2]: *** [build/default/production/_ext/1472/main.o] Error 11
make[1]: *** [.build-conf] Error 2
make: *** [.build-impl] Error 2
nbproject/Makefile-default.mk:111: recipe for target 'build/default/production/_ext/1472/main.o' failed
make[2]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Bob/PicMicro/AutoWater/AutoWater.X'
nbproject/Makefile-default.mk:90: recipe for target '.build-conf' failed
make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Bob/PicMicro/AutoWater/AutoWater.X'
nbproject/Makefile-impl.mk:39: recipe for target '.build-impl' failed

The project was created just like I did on Windows 7 by importing the (working) MPLAB (v8) .mcp project. I have installed PCH v4.129 and PCW v5.050 and both plugins downloaded today from CCS. Any suggestions?
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

Just pulling at straws here but any chance it's one of them 'pesky permissions problems' ? Or some default folder option ?
Good friend HATED getting a new PC with 10 as NOTHING has worked right from day one....hrs and hrs on SIMPLE things....yet another reason to stay with what works and NOT 'upgrade'.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

and (of course) obvious comment. Is your user called 'Bob' & all the other directories containing parts of the code need to exist.
RLScott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
Just pulling at straws here but any chance it's one of them 'pesky permissions problems' ? Or some default folder option ?
Good friend HATED getting a new PC with 10 as NOTHING has worked right from day one....hrs and hrs on SIMPLE things....yet another reason to stay with what works and NOT 'upgrade'.

I tried running MPLAB-X in both user mode and Administrative mode. Same results. It was not my choice to switch over. My Windows 7 computer crashed. Fortunately I had good backups of all the project directories. @Ttelmah: I duplicated the user and directory setup on the new computer as closely as I could. "Bob" is indeed the user and the project is in c:\users\bob\picmicro\AutoWater in both computers.

After further reflection I have decided that it is not that urgent that I fix this problem, since MPLAB v8 does what I need and does work with both PicKit 3 and ICD-3, which are the programmers I use. I would sort of like to know what is wrong, but I can live with never knowing too.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm.. any chance you can 'dumb down' from 10 into 7 ?
RLScott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
Hmm.. any chance you can 'dumb down' from 10 into 7 ?

Given my latest epiphany about MPLAB v8, it certainly wouldn't be worth it. I have too much other software on this computer that might be at risk, and there is no guarantee that it would fix MPLAB-X.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 am     Reply with quote

RLScott wrote:
temtronic wrote:

I tried running MPLAB-X in both user mode and Administrative mode. Same results. It was not my choice to switch over. My Windows 7 computer crashed. Fortunately I had good backups of all the project directories. @Ttelmah: I duplicated the user and directory setup on the new computer as closely as I could. "Bob" is indeed the user and the project is in c:\users\bob\picmicro\AutoWater in both computers.

After further reflection I have decided that it is not that urgent that I fix this problem, since MPLAB v8 does what I need and does work with both PicKit 3 and ICD-3, which are the programmers I use. I would sort of like to know what is wrong, but I can live with never knowing too.

Running in administrative mode _won't_ fix the permission problem.
In W10, some directories, do not allow writes at all. Not even for administrators. They are 'system only' resources. You have to change the actual 'owner' of these to gain write permissions.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 am     Reply with quote

I have dedicated PCs for PICs...a Win98 machine, still has PCM2.453, and an XP machine. Each have 3 HDs in them, true clones and NOT connected to the Internet so 'hacker proof'. While I do have PCM on this W7 machine, I prefer the older PCs... People give away 'old stuff' so everything was free. As you've found out it's a real PITA and costs a LOT of time($$$) when new stuff don't work the way it SHOULD.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 am     Reply with quote

As a comment, you can also still download from Microsoft the free virtual Win7-32 which allows you to run things like 16bit applications which otherwise can't run in the 64bit OS. This solves a lot of problems with reverse compatibility with W10....
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Have you tried going into the project file options (through MPLABX's interface) and manually putting in the folder locations for your devices folder (in the install directory) as the include directory? Up until sometime last year, the plugin found the folder automatically, but in recent versions I had to start specifying it in the CCS project file created by MPLABX. Otherwise I got a lot of build.conf errors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: