CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD has stopped working with my Mach X [Solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbert

ICD has stopped working with my Mach X [Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:17 am     Reply with quote

Hi,
I am puzzled by this and I am hoping somebody has some thoughts on what might be going on.

I used to be able to use the ICD feature on my hardware test set up to do debugging using PCW. This has now stopped working and I am at a loss to understand what is going on. Described below is what I have done/found -

1. If I enable the debugger in PCW it loads the program and then stays in the "busy" state till I get the error message "Could not start target: The target was not halted after reset Check the target oscillator..."

2. I can load my program and run it using CCSLOAD.

3. In CCSLOAD I can read back the program and it checks ok. To me this indicates the MCLR, DSC - ICSP Clock and DSC - ICSP Data lines are correctly connected and functioning. Which should be sufficient to run the debugger in PCW.

4. I have used different chips, with the same result.

5. The diagnostics page in CCSLOAD allows the down load of the source of a small clock test program, which I have done. When I try to run it with the debugger in PCW, I get the same error message. Yet this program (using the external crystal option) was declared as passing the test when CCSLOAD ran it.

6. This may or may not be related. When I run the clock test program in CCSLOAD, using the "Internal" oscillator configuration. The test fails. Does it matter that a xtal is hanging off the clock input pins in this case?

Any thoughts on what might be happening would be appreciated.

Cheers

Herbert
alan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 am     Reply with quote

I know I get this error if my ICSP=? are not set to the correct pair of programming pins.

Regards
Herbert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:45 am     Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

thanks for your thought. I have tried to find if there is a place in PCW where you set/define ICSP= and have not been able to find it or find any reference to it on the net.

In the process did find this discussion "http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51421" which indicates that running CCSLOAD is sufficient to configure the comms used in PCW debug mode.

Cheers

Herbert
alan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:36 am     Reply with quote

#define icsp=1 or 2 or 3 depending on your device. Put this just after your fuses declaration.
Herbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:03 am     Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

have tried the values you suggested with the small test program, with no change to the outcome. Was worth a shot.

Cheers

Herbert
Herbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

Have found the source of my problems. I recently moved my development environment from Windows XP to 7. I had noticed that when using USB serial port devices that in W7, that the serial port could send but would not receive any characters. This was also software dependent, some software would work fully with the serial port, the others would Tx but Rx never worked. Whenever I loaded a non-working bit of software into the virtual XP mode of W7, I then found it worked. Have not figured out what the issue is in W7.

The penny eventually dropped, so I loaded PCWH and everything else into the W7 virtual XP window and it worked. Back to the way it has always worked.

Somewhat annoying, but a workable solution.
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Have you forwarded that info to CCS ? Since most folks are on Win 7 these days, it would be nice if they could fix their software so it runs correctly on Win 7.

mikey
desmyath7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:56 am     Reply with quote

Can, all PICs of 40 or less pins from the supported devices list, be programmed through the ZIF socket of the Mach X programmer?
Does the Mach X select the correct Vpp voltage level according to the used device?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: