CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.10, and PCH 3.127

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmya

ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.10, and PCH 3.127
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:46 am     Reply with quote

I tried a related posting by Samir Berjaoui

Re: ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.02, and PCH compiler
operation: Is working | Samir Berjaoui

I followed the instructions in the posting. MPLAB would program the device after i cleared the "background debugging" config-bit letting MPLAB set this config-bit. But then MPLAB reports an error when i try to run the program - something about the target not being in debug mode. This leads me to suspect the config-bits. ... but a few questions, first.

- has anyone upgraded to mplab 6.10 ?

- what version of the CCS PCH-compiler are you using ?

- what is the full command-line you use to compile your source ? Which flags, etc.

- what configuration bits do you have set up in MPLAB ?

thanks,

- jim

Re: ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.10, and PCH 3.127
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Sorry for taking so long to get back w/ you I was out of town and just got back.

I did play with the new MPLAB 6.10 this weekend and discovered a hope -- an easier way to compile CCS projects! but it's still not perfect.

I found a plug in on the download page of CCS that allows the MPLAB IDE to compile w/ CCS compiler.

Here are my findings:

Uninstall the previous version of MPLAB IDE 6.xx and install the latest version 6.10.

Run the CCS plug in.

Select CCS in Project|Select Language Toolsuite

In Project|Build Options|Project CCS C Compiler TAB, select the proper Compiler for your family,e.g. PIC 18, and Expanded COD format for Debug. Warning: COFF Format does not work with CCS 3.123 I am running now -- It won't generate any debug file w/ that option selected. a cof file was supposed to be generated. And it will still load the cod file generated by the last compile that generated it.

In each of your C files under Project|Build Options|..., turn off if already on and back on the inherit global settings

If you are using #rom in your C code make sure you select EEPROM in addition to program, Configuration, and Erase all before Program in Debugger|Settings Program TAB. I recommend to select the full range if you don't to make sure the range you manually set covers your program size as explained in my previous posting. Reducing the range speeds up programming but with USB connection full range is a breeze compared to RS232.

Make sure #device ICD=TRUE is placed after #include <18f452.h> (or any other microcontroller you are using).

MPLAP IDE 6.10 comes with a new firmware (operating system) for ICD 2 so I let it update it. If the ICD was not connected properly download it from Debugger|Download ICD2 Operating System.

Now we get to the tricky part, the configuration bits:
Since I use the MPLAB IDE to flash my UC and found a bug in CCS config constants (probably fixed by now) and that I switch off the debugging bit and turn on the watch dog bit after I testing I prefer to set these bits in MPLAB.

These are my setting while debugging (Beware the Osc setting maybe diff in your case):
Osc HS-PLL Enabled
Osc sw dis
Power up Timer en
Brwn out Detect en
Brwn Volt 4.5V
Watchdog dis
Wtchdg Pstscal 1:128
CCP2 MUX RC1
Low volt Prgm dis
Backgrnd Debug en
stack overflow Rst en

when finished debugging:
Watchdog en
Low volt Prgm en
Backgrnd Debug dis

Make or build your project (did not notice a diff between the 2!).

I also discovered a bug in the download process. The EEPROM setting don't get downloaded after compilation. I still have to manually import from File|import the hex file.

Save your project and work space

Good luck in finishing your project(s)!

Best regards,

Samir Berjaoui

P.S I'll be posting this message on CCS forum so others can benefit from it.

----- Original Message -----
To: <sberjaoui@envirosir.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.02, and PCH compiler operation

> Hi Samir,
>
> I saw your posting on the CCS bbs. may i ask a few question ?
>
> I followed your instructions in the posting. MPLAB would program the device
> after i cleared the "background debugging" config-bit letting MPLAB set
> this config-bit. But then MPLAB reports an error when i try to run the
> program - something about the target not being in debug mode. This leads me
> to suspect the config-bits. ... but a few questions, first.
>
> - have you upgraded to mplab 6.10 ?
> - what version of the CCS PCH-compiler are you using ?
>
> - what is the full command-line you use to compile your source ? Which
> flags, etc.
>
> - what configuration bits do you have set up in MPLAB ?
>
> thanks,
>
> - jim
>
> _
> \ Jim Alexander jim@aestheticsoftware.com
> \ Aesthetic Software <a href="http://www.aestheticsoftware.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.aestheticsoftware.com</a>
>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:02 am     Reply with quote

:=Hi Jim,
:=
:=Sorry for taking so long to get back w/ you I was out of town and just got back.
:=I did play with the new MPLAB 6.10 this weekend and discovered a hope -- an easier way to compile CCS projects! but it's still not perfect.
:=I found a plug in on the download page of CCS that allows the MPLAB IDE to compile w/ CCS compiler.

I didn't found the CCS plug in on the CCS download page...
Can you give me the link because I have a major problem of debuging with the ICD2 (doesn't work at all). I'm looking for a miracle...

thank

M_A
:=Here are my findings:
:=Uninstall the previous version of MPLAB IDE 6.xx and install the latest version 6.10.
:=Run the CCS plug in.
:=Select CCS in Project|Select Language Toolsuite
:=In Project|Build Options|Project CCS C Compiler TAB, select the proper Compiler for your family,e.g. PIC 18, and Expanded COD format for Debug. Warning: COFF Format does not work with CCS 3.123 I am running now -- It won't generate any debug file w/ that option selected. a cof file was supposed to be generated. And it will still load the cod file generated by the last compile that generated it.
:=In each of your C files under Project|Build Options|..., turn off if already on and back on the inherit global settings
:=If you are using #rom in your C code make sure you select EEPROM in addition to program, Configuration, and Erase all before Program in Debugger|Settings Program TAB. I recommend to select the full range if you don't to make sure the range you manually set covers your program size as explained in my previous posting. Reducing the range speeds up programming but with USB connection full range is a breeze compared to RS232.
:=Make sure #device ICD=TRUE is placed after #include <18f452.h> (or any other microcontroller you are using).
:=MPLAP IDE 6.10 comes with a new firmware (operating system) for ICD 2 so I let it update it. If the ICD was not connected properly download it from Debugger|Download ICD2 Operating System.
:=Now we get to the tricky part, the configuration bits:
:=Since I use the MPLAB IDE to flash my UC and found a bug in CCS config constants (probably fixed by now) and that I switch off the debugging bit and turn on the watch dog bit after I testing I prefer to set these bits in MPLAB.
:=These are my setting while debugging (Beware the Osc setting maybe diff in your case):
:=Osc HS-PLL Enabled
:=Osc sw dis
:=Power up Timer en
:=Brwn out Detect en
:=Brwn Volt 4.5V
:=Watchdog dis
:=Wtchdg Pstscal 1:128
:=CCP2 MUX RC1
:=Low volt Prgm dis
:=Backgrnd Debug en
:=stack overflow Rst en
:=when finished debugging:
:=Watchdog en
:=Low volt Prgm en
:=Backgrnd Debug dis
:=Make or build your project (did not notice a diff between the 2!).
:=I also discovered a bug in the download process. The EEPROM setting don't get downloaded after compilation. I still have to manually import from File|import the hex file.
:=Save your project and work space
:=Good luck in finishing your project(s)!
:=Best regards,
:=Samir Berjaoui
:=P.S I'll be posting this message on CCS forum so others can benefit from it.
:=----- Original Message -----
:=From: "Jim Alexander" <jim@aestheticsoftware.com>
:=To: <sberjaoui@envirosir.com>
:=Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 3:49 AM
:=Subject: Re: ICD2, 18F452, MPLAB6.02, and PCH compiler operation
:=> Hi Samir,
:=>
:=> I saw your posting on the CCS bbs. may i ask a few question ?
:=> I followed your instructions in the posting. MPLAB would program the device
:=> after i cleared the "background debugging" config-bit letting MPLAB set
:=> this config-bit. But then MPLAB reports an error when i try to run the
:=> program - something about the target not being in debug mode. This leads me
:=> to suspect the config-bits. ... but a few questions, first.
:=> - have you upgraded to mplab 6.10 ?
:=> - what version of the CCS PCH-compiler are you using ?
:=> - what is the full command-line you use to compile your source ? Which
:=> flags, etc.
:=> - what configuration bits do you have set up in MPLAB ?
:=> thanks,
:=> - jim
:=> _
:=> \ Jim Alexander jim@aestheticsoftware.com
:=> \ Aesthetic Software <a href="http://www.aestheticsoftware.com" TARGET="_blank"> <a href="http://www.aestheticsoftware.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.aestheticsoftware.com</a></a>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

CCS pulled out the plug for MPLAB 6.x from their download page without any explanation! This is unacceptable in my book.

Probably because it's still buggy or they are ready to lunch their own debugger. Until they have solution ready, we will be dealing with a higher level of stress, I guess! (what's new?)

Since I can't attach a file with this reply, I am willing to send the file by email to anyone who would send me a personal email at sberjaoui@envirosir.com

Regards,

Samir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

:=Hi everybody,
:=CCS pulled out the plug for MPLAB 6.x from their download page without any explanation! This is unacceptable in my book.
:=Probably because it's still buggy or they are ready to lunch their own debugger. Until they have solution ready, we will be dealing with a higher level of stress, I guess! (what's new?)
:=Since I can't attach a file with this reply, I am willing to send the file by email to anyone who would send me a personal email at sberjaoui@envirosir.com
:=Regards,
:=Samir

Hi,

I just found out that it's still downloadable through their old download page <a href="http://www.ccsinfo.com/olddownload.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ccsinfo.com/olddownload.html</a>. Click the last button named "MPLAB INTERFACE" to download.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

>Hi,

>I just found out that it's still downloadable through their >old download page <a href="http://www.ccsinfo.com/olddownload.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ccsinfo.com/olddownload.html</a>. >Click the last button named "MPLAB INTERFACE" to download.

I just verified that the above link does not lead you to the actual MPLAB IDE 6.x plug-in that I have already downloaded last week.

Regards,

Samir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: