CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD-S and 12F675

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgrover

ICD-S and 12F675
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Anyone else having success using the ICD-S (I have a couple of the early ones) to program the 12F675? I only seem to be able to program them once. It acts exactly as though it will not bulk erase, but everything else of a read nature works (read config, read prog memory, detect type, etc.). Programs read out correctly (whatever was programmed the first time, that is). Voltages look fine. I'm using the latest firmware and the latest ICD control program (V2.2, CCS 1.03 rev #0). Both my ICD-s units act the same. Nothing is hanging on Data or Clock, and I've tried nothing, 1M, 100K, etc. on the MCLR line (currently 100k).

What's strange is that when I stick the logic analyzer on, I don't see the bulk erase command sent at all when I use the "bulk clear" button on the advanced page. I see the load configuration command 00 (1,3f,1 as data), then 6 increment addresses (06), then a read of the config word (04) and the resulting read config data. (The start and stop bits are 1's, not 0's as shown in the prog specs.) Next step I guess is to dig into the programming stream and see what is being sent during a regular write to program memory.

I'm using the internal oscillator, but not using MCLR as a digital I/O.

I do note that the memory programming specs for this chip make it sound like you can't do in-circuit programming without complete control over both Vdd and Vpp sequences (and in particular, you must bring Vpp high first), which of course is not something the ICD can do. (DS41173C) If so, that's unfortunate. However, they might be outlining a process that will work regardless of MCLR configuration (as <a href="http://pp06.sourceforge.net/flash_issues.html" TARGET="_blank">http://pp06.sourceforge.net/flash_issues.html</a> seems to imply). This setup certainly seems to work fine for programming the chip once, and seems to successfully read back data any number of times.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
(I do have an email into support, which has been in process since Monday.)

Re: ICD-S and 12F675
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:42 am     Reply with quote

:=Anyone else having success using the ICD-S (I have a couple of the early ones) to program the 12F675? I only seem to be able to program them once. It acts exactly as though it will not bulk erase, but everything else of a read nature works (read config, read prog memory, detect type, etc.). Programs read out correctly (whatever was programmed the first time, that is). Voltages look fine. I'm using the latest firmware and the latest ICD control program (V2.2, CCS 1.03 rev #0). Both my ICD-s units act the same. Nothing is hanging on Data or Clock, and I've tried nothing, 1M, 100K, etc. on the MCLR line (currently 100k).
:=
:=I'm using the internal oscillator, but not using MCLR as a digital I/O.

I am experiencing the same problem. I have also tried a previous version of ICD program and firmware without success. I have also emailed support (today).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:57 pm     Reply with quote

Are you sure you haven't inadverntently erased the calibration constant? If you look at CCS initialization code, right near the beginning, it does a call 3ff - which has a retlw statement and a byte of data which gets loaded into OSCAL. If this location gets erased, your program will not run, but you'll read back "good" code if you dump memory. If you do a #rom 0x3ff = {0x3494} at the beginning of your code, the compiler will load a calibration constant 0x94, into the right location (0x3ff) and your program should run. The 0x94 is a general purpose guestimate of a calibrated value, but should get you on the air.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

:=:=Anyone else having success using the ICD-S (I have a couple of the early ones) to program the 12F675? I only seem to be able to program them once. It acts exactly as though it will not bulk erase, but everything else of a read nature works (read config, read prog memory, detect type, etc.). Programs read out correctly (whatever was programmed the first time, that is). Voltages look fine. I'm using the latest firmware and the latest ICD control program (V2.2, CCS 1.03 rev #0). Both my ICD-s units act the same. Nothing is hanging on Data or Clock, and I've tried nothing, 1M, 100K, etc. on the MCLR line (currently 100k).
:=:=
:=:=I'm using the internal oscillator, but not using MCLR as a digital I/O.
:=...
:=I am experiencing the same problem. I have also tried a previous version of ICD program and firmware without success. I have also emailed support (today).

This problem is fixed in the latest (7/14/03, 1.06) version of ICD-S software! (I understand the problem was in the firmware.) I do note that the bulk erase command on the "advanced" command page still does not seem to work for me, but at least you can program the chip more than once.

The connection to the ICD is as you would expect:
RB3: no connect
RB6/PGC: GP1
RB7/PGD: GP0
GND: GND
Vcc: Vdd
MCLR/Vpp: GP3/MCLR

Any pull-up on MCLR should be larger than usual (e.g., 47k--I'm using 100k).

The 12f675's size and capabilities make a very nice addition to my toolbox, and it is very pleasing to be able to program them (especially when surface mount) in-circuit.

Thank you to the tech support folks who fixed the firmware.

--Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: