CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Way to import a whole repo to project for a PIC24EP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mi7engr

Way to import a whole repo to project for a PIC24EP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

2nd post from new member today.

I have an old legacy project I loaded in CCS IDE but the file explorer list seems incomplete and does not have a specific file that I need to edit and compile with the rest.

As the subject line says, I've search wide and high on google and CCS compiler manual but can't find or figure out any way (if there is) to import or load a whole repository folder of source into 1 project in this IDE.

So I closed this project and started a new project using 24-bit Wizard where I set the PIC family, PIC24EP256, crystal and clock frequencies and compiler version 5.115, then clicked Create Project.

From there it created a new project file and a new empty project file folder.

I still don't know how to now load a full repository of source files into this new project file explorer with the same directory structure for the project as the repo.

Is there a way to do so or should I be loaded each and every dozens of subfolders and files under each?

Also, I don't see any right-click menu on the project to create a new folder. I only see create a new source file. But I want files to be organized in separate folder format similar or close to that of the repo but with only pertinent files needed for compilation, flashing and running the board.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:27 am     Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to.

Delete the project file you have created.
In the IDE, just load the main source code file.
Then select 'compile'.
It should automatically find all the other files if they are in the path.
If not, select options, and add the paths where the other files are
(Options, project options, Include files, add).
Once the compile runs, if you then select 'open all files', the whole
project should now exist.

A project is automatically created whenever you load a main file.
(if one doesn't already exist).
When you select compile it finds the files in the paths.
You can add further paths from the options.
Once it has found all the files, the project exists with the locations
of these already inserted.
mi7engr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, Ttelmah.

I'll try your advice and let you know how it goes.

And BTW, as I am new to CCS IDE, I always lose the file explorer window on the left side. Today, when I opened it, it is undocked / floating.

There are only 2 tabs on the left: Projects and Identifiers.

Is there a way to dock this Files explorer window and have "Files" tab there and so I can switch to it like the Projects and Identifiers Windows? Like a 3rd left tab.

I seem to had made that happen before accidentally but now I don't know how to do that again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Hi again,

I followed your instructions on Project options.

However, I learned the hard way, it didn't work mainly because when I created a new Project, I named it to a unique/different name than the source filename where main () resides. So I got tons of errors when I compiled.

Good thing I didn't delete the good old project file, but rather stored it away in an archive folder :-).

So I deleted my new project name. Copied back the old project with the matching .c source main filename into the project main source folder.

Then I did Project options to add other folders I want included so I can edit the file within those folders.

"Add" Include option worked. The folders got added on the list as shown on the window among other C:\ CCS drivers and such. And the compile again had 0 errors (not to mention with warnings due to bad legacy convoluted interrupt handler code I'll deal with later)

I was able to view a docked files explorer list on left side but only if I reset - uncheck/check the View->Files setting. So I see the files BUT those particular SUBfolders within a \Common folder \Common\src & \Common\inc are not listed :-(.

Only the files under \Common are listed in CCS.
I need to see, open and edit a file in \Common\inc

Can't CCS IDE go deeper in 2nd level subfolders?

Will this work better if I start with a clean slate project file making sure I name it the same name as the main() source filename? (Like I said I just copied back that old legacy project file.)

Or is the only way to bring it over is by editing that \Common\inc header file outside CCS IDE (like via Visual Studio Code) and from knowing something's changed in the directory, then compiler will automatically detect and bring that up? I need to ensure the file change takes effect for compilation and flashing and debugging. (Side note: This is related to my other post, e.g. #device ICD=1 to change "3" to "1" and it's in that \inc header file I can't see in CCS right now).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:04 am     Reply with quote

mi7engr wrote:
Thanks, Ttelmah.

I'll try your advice and let you know how it goes.

And BTW, as I am new to CCS IDE, I always lose the file explorer window on the left side. Today, when I opened it, it is undocked / floating.

There are only 2 tabs on the left: Projects and Identifiers.

Is there a way to dock this Files explorer window and have "Files" tab there and so I can switch to it like the Projects and Identifiers Windows? Like a 3rd left tab.

I seem to had made that happen before accidentally but now I don't know how to do that again.

View tab, roughly middle of the screen, next to the large "New Editor" button, is 4 check boxes: Output, Projects, Files, Identifiers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: