CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

1 problem and 2 suggestion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

It would have been better if it has been called #USE_UART, however given this includes it's 'soft UART' modes, this would be just as likely to confuse.
Almost every term is just as likely to lead to confusion somewhere. SIO, would also cover the SSP, so could mislead here. Even UART can confuse, since some chips now have synchronous support as well.
Best just to live with the term and accept that a properly descriptive name would be impractical:

#USE_LOGIC_SERIAL_HARDWARE/SOFTWARE

would be rather inconvenient....

Remember if you don't like a term, you can always use a #DEFINE to give it your own name.
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 am     Reply with quote

Arakel, you seem to be under the misapprehension that we are CCS and can do anything about these "issues" you are concerned about. We are CCS users and cannot make changes to CCS products.

As for the issues themselves, well, I normally use the "16MHz" syntax for my clock rates, much preferring them to the bare, default numbers. I have done a fair bit of work recently with SCPI, which being case insensitive (i.e. m and M are the same) uses M for milli and MEG for mega. Dealing with MEG is a real pain frankly, particularly with frequencies, and especially in my line of work, RF, where anything less than 100MHz is pretty much considered DC. Personally I would never use M on its own: I'd always use the relevant units. I did not know CCS C accepted just M. Also you are sort of right about "small" and "large" multipliers, but small is not less than 0, its less than 1, and there have commonly used exceptions: it is only recently that engineers started to use K instead of k for 1^3.

I am not going to comment on the precedence issue, as others have covered that well already.

I strongly disagree about "setup_ADC_channel". It is not an initialisation function, which is what "setup" implies to me. Indeed, set_ADC-channel doesn't setup any functionality of the ADC channel (it night if there was filtering or the like) but instead merely selects which ADC channel to use. In my software, where I have wrapper functions to abstract some ADC functionality, I called the wrapper function "Select_ADC_Channel".

The pointer issue is primarily a result of lack of understanding C syntax, i.e. poor knowledge, resulting in imprecise usage. In any case with CCS C such bit level manipulations of SFRs is nearly always not needed, there being a better, more portable and readable solution provided by CCS. Using pointers to access SFRs seem, on the face of it, almost perverse and certainly obtuse. Additionally, while using eight bit binary patterns is fairly reasonable (notwithstanding the error in this particular example) using binary representation for 16 and 32 bit entities is much likely to cause errors. That is why other representations have been used from the earliest days of computing, these days generally hex, but also octal. There are good reasons why these are preferred over binary. For single bit manipulations, even naming the bits (e.g. #define MYBIT 0b00000010) is generally preferable.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:08 am     Reply with quote

It's worth also just emphasising just how inefficient using the pointer syntax is.

The PIC is not really good at handling pointers. A lot of setup involved to program them. Putting a configuration value into a register using a pointer probably translates to perhaps 20 instructions, while just talking directly to the register, involves perhaps 3....
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
It's worth also just emphasising just how inefficient using the pointer syntax is.

The PIC is not really good at handling pointers. A lot of setup involved to program them. Putting a configuration value into a register using a pointer probably translates to perhaps 20 instructions, while just talking directly to the register, involves perhaps 3....

Code:
#include <18F24K40.h>
#device ADC=10
#use delay(clock=40000000,crystal=10000000)

#byte T6CON=getenv("SFR:T6CON")

void main(void) {
   unsigned int8 *t6_pointer;

t6_pointer = &T6CON;

*t6_pointer = 0x80;

T6CON = 0;
   T6CON = 0x60;

while (TRUE) {

}
}

This compiles to:
Code:
....................    unsigned int8 *t6_pointer;
....................    t6_pointer = &T6CON;
0032:  MOVLW  T6CON>>8
0034:  MOVWF  t6_pointer+1
0036:  MOVLW  T6CON
0038:  MOVWF  t6_pointer
....................    *t6_pointer = 0x80;
003A:  MOVFF  t6_pointer,FSR0L
003E:  MOVFF  t6_pointer+1,FSR0H
0042:  MOVLW  80
0044:  MOVWF  INDF0
....................    T6CON = 0;
0046:  CLRF   T6CON
....................    T6CON = 0x60;
0048:  MOVLW  60
004A:  MOVWF  T6CON

Using pointers to access the SFRs is very inefficient at best.
Arakel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone!
Yo! I love learning and technology! I just do not have experience so do not be angry if I ask a stupid question about a detail! From so much to remember sometimes I forget the details in order to remember the big problems!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: