CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Operations efficiency – Memory vs. CPU speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am     Reply with quote

However all of that is pointless if you are sending as serial. It is going to take you 174uSec to send the value. Since if you use the buffering, you can be calculating the next value while sending the last, this becomes the limiting factor on the speed.
viki2000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 am     Reply with quote

As I said in previous post:
Quote:
I used the simple communication with serial port in a continuous loop to send the data only for test purpose to analyze the data in PC, not for final implementation.

For final implementation I was thinking at something with higher speed as for example to send the data to SPI or Parallel DAC 12 or 16 bit.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know what the limits are for a 'new' PC but the PIC18F46K22 can go 2MBaud, the 'math' say 4M is possible, though I've not tried it.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:43 am     Reply with quote

I'm running SPI on a PIC24FJ256GB610 at 16Mbps. Using DMA.
viki2000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:30 am     Reply with quote

Do you refer to 16-bit/Asynchronous with formula Baud Rate = Fosc/[4 (n + 1)] and FOSC=64MHz PLL? How do you pick up the minimum value for n, because if I put it 0, then I get 16Mbps?
Page 280 Table 16-3
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41412F.pdf
viki2000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:22 am     Reply with quote

I was just curious how temtronic arrived to 2Mbaud and 4M for PIC18F46K22.

My intention is not to use EUSART high speed to communicate with a PC. I did it only to check the generated sin() values.
I was thinking at DAC SPI or Parallel for high speed.
Here are some calculations that I have in mind.
I have some cheap SPI DAC 12 bit from Microchip MCP4921. It says it can work with SPI frequencies up to 20MHz.
The PIC24HJ64GP202 that I used can handle, theoretically according with the datasheet, SPI speed = FOSC/4. Then in my case with FOSC=80MHz, I can have SPI speed 20MHz to match max. MCP4921 speed.
So, I expect PIC24HJ64GP202 to be able to handle 20Mbps with FOSC=80MHz internal clock with PLL.
When you use SPI on a PIC24FJ256GB610 at 16Mbps, what is the FOSC?
Then, to have 1 sample out of MCP4921, I must send 2 times 8bit of data, so in total 16bit of data, probably with some sync/delay between these 2 byte, but let’s assume for simplicity of calculation and thinking at max. possible speed that we send 16bit for 1 sample. Then 20MHz/16bit=1250K samples per second.
If I want generate 100Hz signal that would be 10ms period, so 100 faster than 1s, meaning the LUT table is 100 times smaller.
In other words, for fast speed using LUT, I could use a table with 1250K/100=12500 entries in lookup table. As I expect additional delays in subroutines accessing LUT and SPI transmission, probably half of the LUT (5K) or maybe one quarter (2.5K), as suggested several times in the thread, will do the job in reality. Then considering only for 1 quadrant 2.5K, I get 5K for rectified sine, which should be more than enough.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:09 am     Reply with quote

re:
formula Baud Rate = Fosc/[4 (n + 1)] and FOSC=64MHz

n is the 16 bit baud rate generator registers,so you can set to zero...

64,000,000 / 4( 0+1)

64,000,000 / 4 = 16MBaud

I never set the PICs to go that fast. I do recall some problems at 2MB due to layout so 'slowed down' to 1MB for the bench test of a month or so. You have to be aware that the faster you go, you MUST pay attention to the 'details' like wiring, shielding,levels,distance, etc. Same thing applies to a much lesser extent when you run 24 Baud, my other standard.

Since 'modern' PCs don't have true RS232 ports I suspect you'd have to use a USB<>TTL module to have the PIC talk to the PC. Now how fast a USB port can be is anybodies guess. I know there's a LOT of 'overhead' aka programs that have their hooks into USB..

Jay
viki2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:59 am     Reply with quote

Speaking about speed and optimization, I guess fixed point math library from Microchip with Q15sinPI is implemented using polynomial approximation in ASM.
As I am not a daily programmer and not and ASM knowledgeable, it is hard for me to apply reverse engineering to the ASM of Q15sinPI and see what mechanism and methods are applied, but if I see well there are some constants moved in working registers followed by multiplication, which is rather a polynomial approached than CORDIC.
It would be interesting to know what kind of polynomial equation was used by Microchip in Q15sinPI fixed point math library.

Reading on internet various sites, I noticed that basically most of the people apply these approaches: LUT or Cordic or polynomial.
The analysis and comparison that I have tried to do in a simple manner, it was done in a more complex form and presented at the end of next file, this time for FPGAs:
https://hal-ens-lyon.archives-ouvertes.fr/ensl-00802777/document
Related with fixed point math libraries for microcontrollers for C compilers, I find a better presentation and analysis done by Texas Instruments, they compare LUT and polynomial approach using Taylor series, page 7-16 of the next pdf:
http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/hydrofly/OLD/Code/math/doc/math_mdl.pdf
The proposed code written by Ttelmah is basically Taylor polynomial approximation of the 2nd order and it also explained in the next pages:
http://forum.devmaster.net/t/fast-and-accurate-sine-cosine/9648/6
http://lab.polygonal.de/2007/07/18/fast-and-accurate-sinecosine-approximation/
Here is another similar approach:
https://dspguru.com/dsp/tricks/parabolic-approximation-of-sin-and-cos/
Then next link works only once in a while:
http://lolengine.net/blog/2011/12/21/better-function-approximations

I provided these links and few more below as reference for future readers.
Basically a polynomial is used to approximate the sine in the range 0-90°(PI/2).
To recap, the idea is to use faster function with very good approximations compared with normal float sin().
And usually the higher order of the polynomial is, the higher accuracy we get, but that will have the downside for microcontrollers to be slower in calculating the polynomial/sine.
For example here is 6th order for high accuracy, implemented on 32 bit microcontroller:
http://www.olliw.eu/2014/fast-functions/#sincos

Another ancient polynomial approximation with good accuracy was found some hundreds of years ago by the Indian Bhaskara I:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaskara_I%27s_sine_approximation_formula

Last edited by viki2000 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
viki2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:12 am     Reply with quote

I am looking now at the next approach, written for 32bit microcontrollers ARM9:
http://www.coranac.com/2009/07/sines/

It starts with 2nd order polynomial implemented by Ttelmah:
S2(x)=4x/PI – 4x²/PI²

And then it analyzes the 3rd, 4th and 5th order polynomial:
S3(x)=3x/PI – 4x³/PI³
S5(z)=z/2(PI-z²[(2PI-5)-z²(PI-3)])
C4(z)=1-z²[(2-PI/4)-z²(1-PI/4)]
With z=x/(PI/2) and sin(x)=cos(x-PI/2)
Then extended is:
S5(x)=x/PI(PI-(2x/PI)²((2PI-5)-(2x/PI)²(PI-3)))
S4(x-PI/2)=1-(2x/PI)²[(2-PI/4)-( 2x/PI)²(1-PI/4)]

It is nice that he compares the speed and accuracy.
I plotted some of these functions and the 5th order overlays “perfect” over the sine:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/xxkkb0gmvw

I can follow the math involved, but there is something that I do not quite understand.
When the 3rd function order is calculated S3(x)=3x/PI – 4x³/PI³, there are 5 constants A, n, p, r, s with:
r = 2n−p and s = n+p+1−A
I do not understand how A, n, p are chosen based on the next statements:
Quote:
“To correctly account for the fixed-point positions, you need to be aware of the following factors:
- The scale of the outcome (i.e., the amplitude): 2^A
- The scale on the inside the parentheses: 2^p. This is necessary to keep the multiplications from overflowing.
- The angle-scale: 2^n. This is basically the value of ½π in the fixed-point system. Using x for the angle, you have z = x/2^n.”

I would like to port and test these calculations with 16bit PIC24 microcontroller.

Could you please help, if you know, with detailed explanations about how A, n, p are chosen?
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:27 am     Reply with quote

Since I don't punish PICs by forcing them to do 'fancy' math, I'd suggest contacting the author of the code to explain the variables used..

One thing to remeber about PICs, CCS C and ASM is that CCS does allow you to cut C code that can run an assembler 'subroutine'. They provide a couple examples and if you think about it , it's similar to using say one of the math functions. You do need to know th enames of the variables and such but it is feasible to 'port' that qsin... program you talk about and just have your C code 'call' it.

For the ultimate(IE 'best') in speed and accuracy you will need to cut code in Assembler though. No C programmer can optimize a micro's performance in C. You need to KNOW how the micro works it's instruction set.

Jay
viki2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 am     Reply with quote

If I understand right:
Quote:
- “The scale of the outcome (i.e., the amplitude): 2^A”

The A is chosen A=12, because the sine value return is Q12.
Quote:
- “The scale on the inside the parentheses: 2^p. This is necessary to keep the multiplications from overflowing.”

The p is chosen p=15, because the final sine function isin_S3 is on 32bit and has the argument on 32bit and when we multiply 2 operands, in order to avoid overflow, then each operand must be 15 binary digits after the decimal point plus the sign.
Quote:
-“The angle-scale: 2^n. This is basically the value of ½π in the fixed-point system. Using x for the angle, you have z = x/(2^n).”

The n is chosen n=13, because if full circle (0...2PI) uses 2^15 angles for resolution, then for 1 quarter of circle (0..PI/2) we need only (2^15)/4=(2^15)/(2^2)=2^13, so n=13.
Is my interpretation right/proper? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Nevertheless I will try to contact the author as you suggested.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 am     Reply with quote

You are wasting so much time on this it is painful.

First thing is I think you 'overestimate' your actual errors. Even the worst algorithm you have used to synthesise a waveform, will give THD errors only a tiny fraction of a percent.
Then if you have code that synthesises an acceptable sin in only just over 6uSec, then use it. If you want to code in CCS, just include the assembler as a routine.
Then you are going to get far worse problems from just about every other point of the hardware. Digital crosstalk. Physical non linearity of the DAC (this is going to be far worse than the maths errors you have). Actual timing etc. etc.. You also have the huge problem of the frequency responses (have alluded to this already). If you actually try to synthesise the half wave, you need to have really good HF response, however this will emphasise sampling noise.
The phrase involving a sledgehammer and a nut seems to apply here. I'd suspect that any of the experienced electronic designers here would have rejected this approach in a few seconds, and had a design working in a few hours, giving better results than you are ever going to achieve...
viki2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Probably you are right, but I am trying to understand how one approach or another would have been done.
Quote:
“If you want to code in CCS, just include the assembler as a routine.”

Let’s assume I would like to try that.
For example, assume here the main in C:
Code:
void main(){
int16 angle, result;

while(TRUE)
   {
        for(angle=0; angle<32767; angle=angle+1){
            result = Q15sinPI(angle);

//Send to serial port
            putc(make8(result,1)); //MSB                 
            putc(make8(result,0)); //LSB
        }
   }
}

and then the Q15sinPI function or subroutine:
Code:
int16 Q15sinPI(int16 angle){
#asm
//...code
#endasm
}

How do I declare the variables to be passed between C and ASM and how do I call the ASM function in C and how do I return the calculated value in ASM back in C?
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:01 am     Reply with quote

re:...
Quote:
How do I declare the variables to be passed between C and ASM and how do I call the ASM function in C and how do I return the calculated value in ASM back in C?

This is actually covered in the CCS C reference Manual and they also give examples for implementation. Some are in the #asm section, one in the FAQ I believe and a few in the EXAMPLES folder.

It's one of the nice features of CCS C , the easy ability to call asm routines from within a C program. I did just that 2 decades ago, for a very time critical application.

Jay
viki2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 am     Reply with quote

I have checked but is not enough info.
PCD reference manual page 103:
https://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads/PCDReferenceManual.pdf
PCB/PCM/PCH user manual page 97:
https://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads/ccs_c_manual.pdf
The example file is FFT.c in Examples folder. I found ex_fft.c. There is nothing inside related with my question above, so no additional help.
I understand how the variable from C is passed/used in ASM.
What I do not understand from the given example is how the C int function find_parity has the assigned value calculated in ASM. Is it only due to MOV W0. _RETURN_. That means the result is always in W0 working register and is passed to find_parity using _RETURN_ ?
Then do I need to use always _RETURN_ when I want to pass the calculated from a register in ASM to a function declared in C?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: