CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Using the CCS compiler with Pickit 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
genericpurpleturtle

Using the CCS compiler with Pickit 3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:39 am     Reply with quote

So I've downloaded the CCS demo and have myself a Pickit 3 to program and debug my pic16F628A and pic16f88. I'm tried getting the plugin for MPLAB x but the installation would finish after half a second and say successfully installed in the wizard, but then windows would pop up a message box saying that it didn't install. When I opened up MPLAB to select a compiler it wouldn't show up. I haven't found much on this so I decided a different approach.

Is it possible to program in the ccs IDE with the Pickit 3? I found conflicting evidence on this forum, some saying no, some saying you can't program but you can debug? So what is it?

Whenever I try and hit debug with my PICF88 it gives me the following error,

"Access violation at address 0058BD8C in module 'PCW.exe'. Read of Address 00000000"

Whenever I hit build it was asking me to find the JRE.dll file for the java runtime environment. I found a thread saying I should install the "MPLAB® ICD2, MPLAB® ICD3, MPLAB® PICkit3 & MPLAB® REAL ICE™ Interface" and I did that and it was still asking me to find the java runtime environment, but after sometime it changed to say "device not found.

Any helpful info or links on whether or not why I'm trying to do is possible and if so what I'm doing wrong, would be greatly appreciated!
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:00 am     Reply with quote

OK, step one, get rid of MPLAB x.

I use MPLAB v8.86, a PICKIT 3 and have sucessfully programmed both 628s and 88s using PCM and PCW.

Do a 'clean' install of MPLAB v8.86.
Get the 'plugin' from CCS.

Ther should be a 'how to' on the CCS site or in the plugin....frankly is was YEARS ago I did this, but it does work !!

Jay
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:50 am     Reply with quote

A clean install of vs. 8.92, the last of version 8, with the most chip support.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_IDE_8_92.zip
TimothyCarter

MPLAB X
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

FYI, I'm using MPLAB X with the PICkit3 and CCS v5.061 compiler. The OP was asking about PICkit3 in the CCS IDE. I have not had success at making that work, either - though it would be nice. The only reason I'm using MPLAB at all, is because CCS doesn't have DEBUG support for the PIC24 that I am using.

(NOTE: I have to use MPLAB X, as the PIC I am using is not supported in MPLAB 8; the PIC24FJ256GB406.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: