CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Power Supply value problem 18f46k20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolubeyi

Power Supply value problem 18f46k20
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 am     Reply with quote

Hi,i have big problem because pic power supply value is bigger than write on datasheet.I use pic 18f46k20 and write on datasheet “Operating Voltage Range: 1.8V to 3.6V” but I made the big mistake and my pcb power supply is 5v(i dont have to change the pcb).i connect 5v to 18f46k20 and processor is running now but later will be any problem ?and my adc ,pwm How many volts makes/read?or any advice?
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 am     Reply with quote

The absolute maximum rating for the 18F46K20 4.5V

Microchip includes this note in the data sheet

[NOTICE: Stresses above those listed under “Absolute Maximum Ratings” may cause permanent damage to the
device. This is a stress rating only and functional operation of the device at those or any other conditions above those
indicated in the operation listings of this specification is not implied. Exposure to maximum rating conditions for
extended periods may affect device reliability.]

So, what do you think is going to happen, if you continue to run at 5V?

Mike
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Drop the voltage.
Just cut the power line where it comes into the board, and add a two or three diodes in series. Will give about 1.2 to 1.8v drop.
The data sheet gives the _absolute maximum_ the chip can handle as 4.5v, with max recommended as 3.6. This is to work over the full range of other specs (temperature, load etc..). It may well work for a few days at 5v, but will probably fail when the weather gets hot, or you try to put reasonable loads on the pins.
There are 5v chips that are pretty near equivalent. If you can't drop the voltage, change to one of these.
It _will_ fail sometime.

Best Wishes
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:41 am     Reply with quote

or..you can use a red LED instead of 3 1N4001s, providing total current drawn is less than 30ma.
The red LED drops the voltage by about 1.6V and provides a 'free' power on indicator.

hth
jay
dbotkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Or... if you can get by without the extra features... use an 18F4620.

Too bad you're in Turkey. I have a batch of 18F46K20s I bought by mistake... and will never use. I'd love to sell them to someone who needs them, but shipping and taxes would make them pretty expensive for you.
asmboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 am     Reply with quote

if you use any of these voltage dropping methods BE SURE to place a capacitor of at least 10uf between the PIC Vss Vdd pins to keep the PSU "Z" low , and insure stability.

A L S O .......

if you have code that uses Vdd as an ADC reference, for example, this approach to powering the pic will not work , as the forward drop across ANY of the diode types mentioned will vary with net pic current demand.

if you need to fix it right , use an LDO 3.3 volt regulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: