CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

how to connect to mpu6050 gyro sensor-i2c?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:03 am     Reply with quote

As has already been said by PCM programmer. The key thing is that if he uses a software I2C, no translation at all is needed. No diodes. No MOSFET's, etc. etc...
I2C, is already an open collector drive, with the bus only being driven low, or allowed to float.

All that is needed is:
Code:

+3v
             |
             /
             \ (2K2 - 4K7, is too high for reliable 3v I2C)
             /
             |
PIC pin------o------ I2C device

On both the lines.
It really is this simple.

The pull up resistor allowed, for normal I2C, with 3v pullups, is 866R minimum, 3.2Kmax to meet fast mode timing requirements (unless the bus has very low capacitance <30pF)
Remember as I already mentioned that the resistor needed has to reduce with the supply voltage. 4K7, actually goes outside the recommended resistor range when using 3v pull ups.

Best Wishes
sseidman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 am     Reply with quote

The MSSP is also open collector (actually open drain) in hardware i2c master mode-- fig 9.16 on the 16f87xa datasheet. I'm a bit confused about why people keep saying that it's open collector only in software mode. Is it because of the slave configuration?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 am     Reply with quote

No, the reason that only software will work, is the input, not the output.
The hardware MSSP (I2C) module has a Vih, of 0.8* the PIC's Vdd. So with a 5v PIC, 4v. So if it is being being driven off an I2C device with the pull-ups going to 3v, it'll never see a 'high', and won't work....
This is the point about choosing pins with TTL input buffers, where Vih is low enough to happily work off the 3v device.

Best Wishes
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
The hardware MSSP (I2C) module has a Vih, of 0.8* the PIC's Vdd. So with a 5v PIC, 4v. So if it is being being driven off an I2C device with the pull-ups going to 3v, it'll never see a 'high', and won't work....
This is the point about choosing pins with TTL input buffers, where Vih is low enough to happily work off the 3v device.

That's a good point.. I work with the lower voltage devices so regularly now...

Ahhh, mixing I2C bus voltages... something I make it a point to avoid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Mahdi wrote:

I'm using 16f877a.

I'm curious.

Are you doing this for for class or for work or for personal fun?

-Ben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:

Best Wishes

Thanks! I'm in a design now where I'm pulled up to 3V using hardware i2c, and everything seems to be working. I'm on an 18f, and in i2c mode Vih is 0.7 Vdd, so it shouldn't and does, but I'll assume it won't do so reliably! The plan is to isolate this part of the 12c bus anyway, so I'll just have the microcontroller bus pulled to 5v anyway, but it's nice to know!
Mahdi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

bkamen wrote:
Mahdi wrote:

I'm using 16f877a.

I'm curious.

Are you doing this for for class or for work or for personal fun?

-Ben

for a project
Mahdi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

sseidman wrote:
Ttelmah wrote:

Best Wishes

Thanks! I'm in a design now where I'm pulled up to 3V using hardware i2c, and everything seems to be working. I'm on an 18f, and in i2c mode Vih is 0.7 Vdd, so it shouldn't and does, but I'll assume it won't do so reliably! The plan is to isolate this part of the 12c bus anyway, so I'll just have the microcontroller bus pulled to 5v anyway, but it's nice to know!

my 16f877 i2c with 3 volt work but unstable
bkamen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

Mahdi wrote:
for a project

And that would be a project for school? Work? Personal Fun?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 am     Reply with quote

bkamen wrote:
Mahdi wrote:
for a project

And that would be a project for school? Work? Personal Fun?

For work. It is used in making the Flush or Protractor.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 am     Reply with quote

sseidman wrote:
Ttelmah wrote:

Best Wishes

Which particular PIC?.

Most 18F chips still have Vih for the Schmitt buffers at 0.8*Vdd. However some have the data input buffer on the pins used by the hardware I2C, using TTL buffers, and only the hardware module using Schmitt levels. I'd guess you are actually using _software_ I2C, and don't realise it!. A quick look at the assembler generated will tell you. Remember the internal library defaults to using software, and 'FORCE_HW' is needed to use the hardware. This differs from #use RS232, where if you use the hardware pins, it defaults to using the hardware.....

If you look (for instance), at the 18F4550, on this the I2C pins are RB0/RB1, and the input buffers on these pins are TTL, but the input buffers when using the hardware I2C, are Schmitt. Then in the DC Characteristic table, Vih, for pins with Schmitt buffers is given at 0.8*Vdd, only pins RC3, and 4, have 0.7*Vdd thresholds.

On the chip being used here (16F877A), the I2C is on pins RC3/RC4, and these have Schmitt input buffers when used as normal I/O. However these pis have the 0.7*Vdd threshold, making the voltage nominally 3.5v, which with a 3.3v supply to the second IC, is 'right on the borderline'......

Best Wishes
Mahdi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:56 am     Reply with quote

i want to write in CLKSEL[2:0] in PWR_MGMT_1 register.what is the address of clksel register? how to write data in clksel?What is the hexadecimal address clksel register?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 am     Reply with quote

CLKSEL, is not a register. It is bits 2:0 of the PWR_MGMT_1 register.

Looks like address 107, from what you post,but we can never tell without knowing the PIC....

Best Wishes
Mahdi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
CLKSEL, is not a register. It is bits 2:0 of the PWR_MGMT_1 register.

Looks like address 107, from what you post,but we can never tell without knowing the PIC....

Best Wishes

in the first post i said pic16f877a

thanks alot
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

The 877a, doesn't have any CLKSEL bits. These are only present on chips with run time oscillator switching. It doesn't have a power management register either, this only exists on chips supporting different sleep levels. You seem to have pulled the data from a completely different chip, hence my question.....

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: