CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Coil driver design?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Coil driver design?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Hi

Want to make a PWM circuit to for power DC coil, 24V 3A.

-<24v>-<COIL>-<FET>-<gnd>-

Will a modern N-FET be a good choice?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Probably.
However, multiple 'caveats'.
First, unless you are using a FET, specifically designed so that it's internal diode structure exhibits fast recovery (Hitachi do ones for example), don't rely on the internal diode to provide the trap function, instead provide an external diode for this.
Second, remember that the energy stored in the coil, has to go somewhere when the FET switches off. The trap diode routes it back into the +ve rail, but unless this has significant capacitance present, with good high frequency performance, this can result in significant voltages being induced on the rail, and noise problems.
Third, if this is something like a relay, you might want to consider _reducing_ the power through the coil, once it has switched on.
Fourth, beware that a standard logic output like those on the PIC, is not the ideal source to drive a typical FET. You either need to look at 'logic level' FETs, or a better driver.

Best Wishes
RLScott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Probably.
However, multiple 'caveats'.
First, unless you are using a FET, specifically designed so that it's internal diode structure exhibits fast recovery (Hitachi do ones for example), don't rely on the internal diode to provide the trap function, instead provide an external diode for this...

There is no maybe about it. Definitely provide a free-wheeling diode around the coil. The diode internal to the FET is not a free-wheeling or trap diode. It is a diode that will conduct if the drain ever becomes negative with respect to the source. This does no good at all when the FET turns off because the voltage on the drain becomes excessively positive, not negative.

No matter how modern the FET, it will burn out if you don't provide a diode around the coil.
Charlie U

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

There are many FETs that are capable of handling the flyback energy of a coil. These FETs are what International Rectifier calls "Avalanche Rated". These devices act like a high power zener diode when the drain to source voltage reaches the breakdown voltage rating. They have specific current and energy ratings for avalanche mode. I just happened to grab the IRFIZ24 data sheet.
FvM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
There are many FETs that are capable of handling the flyback energy of a coil.
Yes, there are. But it's not advisable to design a PWM circuit based on this feature. Then you can operate the MOSFET in linear mode as well. Thus it's a good suggestion at the wrong place.
RLScott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

Charlie U wrote:
There are many..."Avalanche Rated"...like a high power zener diode...

I stand corrected. However it is important to draw the distinction between these Avalanche-Rated FETs and the instrinsic diode that is in every power FET. These two kinds of diodes perform completely different functions.

Also, the use of an avalanche-rated FET can have a profound affect on the average current for any given duty-cycle PWM. If you use a separate diode around the coil, then the current decays slowly on turn-off, being opposed only by the resistance of the coil and the 0.7 volt forward diode voltage. But if you use an avalanche-rated FET without a diode around the coil, then when the FET turns off, the current in the coil decays rapidly, being opposed by the difference between the supply voltage and the avalanche threshold. Since the current drops so much faster on each turn-off cycle, the average current will be much less at the same duty-cycle.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Yes. Hence my first comment.
Hitachi, do actually do some FETs that have quite generously rated diodes built in, with good voltage ratings, high peak current ratings, and fast recovery. However it is 'worryingly' common to see people laying out drives using normal FETs, relying on the diode structure. It is then equally common to see these failing....

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:26 am     Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the feedback:-)
I will try to find some N-FET, and some fast clamp diode that can fit in to my needs.

-Smile
asmboy

am i the only one who uses BUCK type HI side P mos switches
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

i am assuming that you want to regulate the current through the coil in a variable way since you say PWM and there is a very clean way to do this from the hi side with a P mosfet too - and above all with generally much better PWM/current - linearity than when using a low side N fet.

it requires an extra cheapo n-fet driver and a couple 1/8w resistors but is very stable and linear , in case that matters to you

a High side P-chan Mosfet like the IRF 9520 - with source connected to +24V , a pull up resistor of 10K ohms connected between +24 and the gate , and the drain going to the coil , its other end ground.

the IRF9520 DRAIN junction gets a 40 V ( at appropriate amperage) shottky diode CATHODE conected to said drain , and the diode anode to ground.

Now you drive the gate of the IRF9520 with the drain of a 2n7002 , and its source goes to ground.

Lastly the 7002 'S gate gets 10K ohms to ground and a 390 ohm resistor from the gate of said 7002 to the PWM out port of your pic.

if you pick the right PIC divisors you can get 10 bit accuracy form the darned thing . and BTW - this is your quintessential BUCK regulator design for any PWM drive source - done this a million times in my sleep.

the only drawback in any of these is that the coil may "sing" at the switching rate or a harmonic , no matter which method you use

and that unexpected acoustic component may come as a surprise to you .
asmboy

oh and BTW this too
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

If ultimate energy efficiency is not a concern, then you may want to also consider adding a damping resistor of about 330 ohms 1/2w in parallel with your coil. This gives you a bit of cover for excessively hi Q causing nasty HV spikes off di/dt from coil excitation with narrow pulses and thus improves linearity at very low PWM ratios - not to mention reduces singing too.
mkent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

TI / Burr-Brown make things easy with the DRV 101 series drivers.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/drv101.html
FvM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

@asmboy: I didn't get the point, why an P-FET buck converter should have advantage over the previous suggested N-FET buck-converter? Apart from changing the polarity (which implies a higher rdson with comparable FETs), your mainly suggesting a higher gate drive voltage of 24 V. The value is considerably above allowed maximum ratings and must be feared to damage the FET.

In special cases, there may be reasons to use a PFET switch of course. For example, if a ground referenced current sense resistor is intended.

As another disadvantage, the gate is rather slowly discharged through 10 k resistor. Driving a logic-level NFET directly from a PIC port pin through a 100 ohms resistor gives a better switching performance at any case. For higher load currents (= FET with higher gate capacitance) or FETs requiring a higher gate drive voltage, level converting drivers as Microchip TC427 are available, discrete BJT transistor drivers are also an option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Now I getting confused...

What will be best if I only want the pic output (5v) to drive the fet?

Is 5v too little? ...all datasheet put max. 24v(gs) and at least 10v for making "real" on(low Rds on)
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

5v, is too little for a 'normal' FET, if any significant current is being driven. However there are hundreds of 'logic level' designs around now, that only need perhaps 3v or lower. A search for 'logic level power MOSfets', should find loads of examples. Units like the NTP30N06L, have a 'worst case' Vgs, of only 2v, for their Rds, of 46mR, and most examples, need less than this.

Best Wishes
asmboy

ok i get it - nobody here actually designs powers supplies ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

1- low side PWM drive has the disadvantage of poor linearity at low pwm duty cycles - which you will soon see if you build and run that way

2- low side inductor drive - whether with N fets or NPN sw xtors - can suffer from severe open state high voltage spikes -- generated when the fet switches off, that must be damped , and can still cause source power supply problems as well

3- note to FWM:: the 10K resistor is indeed a bit slow on the turn OFF not the turn on and this is on PURPOSE to again limit the splash dv/dt effect --

what matters is the turn ON time and the
turn ON TIME - is very fast due to the low channel resistance of the 2n7002 -
the 10k has no effect there at all .

4- this hi side buck regulator has inherent topological protection against all these problems

i don't use the extra parts for fun - rather for the net effect of the circuit

low side PWM looks like it would be cheep and simple - but only superficially when you consider that with a significant inductive load ( your 3A coil) - you can much more likely subject your power supply filter capacitors to fault levels of dielectric puncture voltage

now if you were driving a string of LEDS for brightness modulation - low side is fine - and i've done that - no sweat -

but NOT FOR BIG INDUCTORS - ignore this at your peril.

I do this exact sort of thing for a living , and often at much higher power levels for DC motors and magnetic levitation bearings -often with very high L's and peak I , and believe me - low side PWM is a GREAT way to blow your PSU

i say again - is there nobody here who designs ROBUST PWM buck style power supplies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: