CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

What's the best way to write this code?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david90

What's the best way to write this code?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm using PIC16F676 so I have limited resources.

What I'm trying to make is a digital lock that has 4 buttons. 3 buttons are used to enter the code and the last button is used as an "unlock" button.

One of the features that I want to do is when you hold the "unlock" button for 5 sec, the circuit will go into code change mode where you can change your unlock code.

What's the best way to detect when a user holds down the unlock button for 5 sec or more? I can't dedicate a timer to this feature.
RLScott

Re: What's the best way to write this code?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:39 am     Reply with quote

david90 wrote:
I'm using PIC16F676 so I have limited resources.

What I'm trying to make is a digital lock that has 4 buttons. 3 buttons are used to enter the code and the last button is used as an "unlock" button.

One of the features that I want to do is when you hold the "unlock" button for 5 sec, the circuit will go into code change mode where you can change your unlock code.

What's the best way to detect when a user holds down the unlock button for 5 sec or more? I can't dedicate a timer to this feature.

First you must consider debouncing. If the code has nothing else to do when buttons are pushed, then you can poll for buttons and busy-wait whenever a button is pressed. During the busy-wait, you can use instruction timing or a hardware timer to determine how low a button is held down. Integrate debouncing into that busy-wait so that when a button is first detected as pressed or released, the press or release recognition should be delayed until the press or release has continued for a certain minimum period. A good way to do this is to increment a variable with a ceiling limit whenever the button is detected as pressed and decrement that variable with a floor limit whenever the button is detected as released. When the variable hits the ceiling or the floor you can take whatever recognition action is required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: