CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

[OT: Electronic] Size of transistor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonte

[OT: Electronic] Size of transistor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 am     Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry for this off-topic question. I normally do just coding but need, for testing, switch a dc motor. The question is what size of transistor is needed to drive a 12 volt dc, 2.7W motor. It's pulsing it about 50-60Hz.

I'm not an electronic guy at all! Does the dissipation effect need to handle the 2.7W the motor takes or less. It should be able to be on pulsing 24/7 without burning up but at the same time not be over sized! I was hoping to be able to use a SOT-23 sized transistor!

Thanks for any help and sorry for the OT.

Thanks,
Jonte
libor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 am     Reply with quote

I would chose a MOSFET (don't forget the parallel protection diode, some FETs have this built-in), MOSFETs have very low on-resistance, and they are voltage controlled rather than the traditional (BJT) transistors (which are current controlled devices). Some newer types are also available with TTL level gate voltages so you can connect them directly to a microcontroller (in low power applications when the relatively slow turn-on/off time is not causing dissipation problems)

Do you need bidirectional motor control ? Then you'll need a H bridge (4 mosfets).
What do you mean by "It's pulsing it about 50-60Hz." Is it a PWM speed control running at 50-60 Hz ? That's too low frequency for the carrier I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks!

As for now I pulse with a delay loop as it's a 12F508 chip used for this tiny motor driver. The motor is a asynchronous one where i pulse the two "-" poles while the 3rd wire is always on "+"
RLScott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 am     Reply with quote

libor wrote:
I would chose a MOSFET (don't forget the parallel protection diode, some FETs have this built-in)

No, you always need a parallel protection diode, regardless of what is built-in to the FET. That is because the protection diode needs to be in parallel with the motor, not in parallel with the FET. There is nothing anyone can put inside the FET that will be the equivalent of a diode in parallel with the motor.
libor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:00 am     Reply with quote

OK. thanks for the correction. I though these diodes protect from the same thing: reverse polarity getting on the FET's poles.
RLScott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 am     Reply with quote

libor wrote:
...I though these diodes protect from the same thing: reverse polarity getting on the FET's poles.

Yes, that is exactly what the built-in diodes do - protect against reverse polarity. But when a FET turns off, the spike from the motor is not reverse polarity. It is the same polarity as the power supply, but much higher in voltage. If the inductive current from the motor is not given a place to go, then the voltage will rise to perhaps hundreds of volts, until something gives way. That something is usually the FET or transistor that was trying to turn off the current.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:46 am     Reply with quote

You might start with a Fairchild FDV303N, SOT23 25V 0.68A about $0.08 each from Digi-Key. It is about double the voltage and double the current you theoretically need, a decent cushion for small design errors, but still small and fairly cheap.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: