CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Programming other package styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alchazz

Programming other package styles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:33 am     Reply with quote

OK, the Mach X is used to program DIPs and through the jack, program other package types through the telephone jack.

But....how do I program the SO and SOIC and SSOP packages if I don't include a telephone jack and in-circuit programming in my project?

Are there adaptors available?
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 am     Reply with quote

You have to place a header on your board in order to program the PIC. The header must have the same pinout as whatever cable your programmer uses, or you can come up with an intermediate changeover module that takes the phone cord from the Mach-X and changes it to something smaller.

It's also important that the Vpp, Data and Clk lines between the programming header and the PIC aren't hooked up to anything else. Programming will frequently fail if there is any circuitry whatsoever connected to these lines. If you require these lines for your project, it's a good idea to include removeable jumpers on your PCB so you can isolate these lines from their circuitry for programming.
alchazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:41 am     Reply with quote

OK, I understand your reply. It makes sense if the item in my project is reprogrammable. However, if I use an OTP device, I really don't want to put headers and circuitry on my PCB just to program it once. Say that for my needs, I need to program 5 OTP, SO packages. How do I do that with my Mach X programmer?

When I used to program devices with DataI/O and Stag programmers, there were headers for each unique device type. This made for a humungous pile of adaptors.

I haven't been in that business for years and am just getting started with PICs. I know that MicroChip will program devices for you. But will they do just 5 "for free?" How do they do it?

So! Is there an adaptor available which will plug into the ZIF socket on the Mach X programmer and have the equivalent of a "ZIP" socket that mates to the SO package on it? Do I have to kluge my own?

What do you do? Confused
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I have a programmer with a 40 pin ZIF socket for DIP packages, and I also bought a 28 pin SO adapter for it as well (which I hardly ever use anymore). Everything else gets a 10 pin programming header on the PCB.

http://www.melabs.com/products/adapters/index.htm
The adapter I have is the 28 pin SOIC model.

Perhaps you can buy one of the MELabs adapters and jerry-rig the connections to your programmer?
alchazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

OK. But the ME Lab adaptors are not designed for the Mach X programmer. So I suppose making my own will be the way to go. But I think I would have to build one for each type of PIC I may choose.

Ach, nothing is easy.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: