CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Constructive criticism to CCS ICDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Constructive criticism to CCS ICDs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:51 am     Reply with quote

During the last week I was caught into a loop of backwards incompatibility issues between PIC uC, ICD hardware and ICD firmware.

Simultaneously and independently, my partner had nearly fried his laptop, because high voltage leaked to the ICD and then into the laptop’s USB. That caused the USB hub to shut off, only power-cycling the laptop made the hub to turn back on. Only the ICD blew up, but it could have ended up much worse.

Here are some suggestions that will simplify everyone’s lifes

- Lack of descriptive documentation. CCS will not lose anything, if it publishes the schematic. In fact, it will save on technical support. All of CCS’s proprietary knowledge is in the ICD firmware. There is a half-dozen ICD clone designs freely available anyways.

- There's no galvanicaly isolated version. It’s easy to isolate serial lines between FTDI232 and the PIC, although the isolated ICD will require a larger enclosure. The cost of additional isolation parts can be as low as $15, including the optional isolated DC/DC. There are a lot of people, who use high voltages (for motors, for example).

Does anyone else have suggestions? Is CCS working on any of this?
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

I agree about releasing the schematics. I just blew my ICD-U40 up, and now it just sits there.

Since I am in Europe, it just isnt worth trying to get it fixed.

I prefer the ICD-U40 over the microchip one, mainly because I use the CCS debugging environment.

Galvanic isolation would be good, but I accept that the ICD-U40 is low cost, and so raising the cost by 30-40% wouldnt be a good idea.

I use the Analog devices digital isolators,u/adM1201 etc, and that may be a cheaper route for CCS.

Mike
mdemuth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

I am using two tools:
1. olimex ICD-clone.:
All critical parts (74HC146) are mounted.
If you blow them, you can easily change them.

2. USBurn
Simple, efficient and small programmer.
Perfect if you just want to program and nothing more.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

mdemuth wrote:
I am using two tools:
1. olimex ICD-clone.:
All critical parts (74HC146) are mounted.
If you blow them, you can easily change them.

Can you use it with the debug features of the CCS compiler (break points, watch, monitor etc) ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

DESCRIPTION: Low cost development tool providing real time emulation for all PICs with build-in ICD feature. Can operate through RS232 or USB, it's completely replacement of MICROCHIP's MPLAB-ICD2. More information you can find on Microchip's web site.
HARDWARE: PIC ICSP connector (top view)
SOFTWARE: MPLAB-IDE

FAQ:
Q: What's the difference between PIC-ICD2 and MPLAB-ICD2?
A: There is no functional difference between them and PIC-ICD2 is 100% compatible to MPLAB-ICD2. The only difference is the ICSP connector - Microchip uses RJ45 phone jack connector, we use 0.1" step connector

For further information:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/index.html
Neutone

Re: Constructive criticism to CCS ICDs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:09 am     Reply with quote

kender wrote:
my partner had nearly fried his laptop, because high voltage leaked to the ICD and then into the laptop’s USB. That caused the USB hub to shut off, only power-cycling the laptop made the hub to turn back on. Only the ICD blew up, but it could have ended up much worse.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Reminds me of when I was trying to debug a PID routine for motor control.

B&B make a USB isolator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: