CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Version 4 Comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Re: 4 is to ugly and and uncomroftable
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

pirev wrote:
Versions 4.xxx are horror IDE, I can't see such IDE from yers Evil or Very Mad They are to ulgy and uncomfortable Rolling Eyes Why CCS was drop IDE interface from previous versions ? After every switch to another application, 4.xxx IDE lost input focus and user must click with mouse to get input focus.

And these big menus, they are used to mach space from display.

This is too uncomfortable ... I don't have words.

I was switched back to 3.249 IDE while CCS IDE will stand friendliness. I will use CCS C compiler versions 4.xxx only with MPLAB.

I'm sorry, but this is horror IDE ...

I agree 100% . The ugly toolbars are difficult to read, and eat up too much space that I would prefer to see more lines of my source code.
CCS does not normally listen to any complaints. So either use it or move to something else.
I've had it for several months and today (Dec 22 06) I decided to try it once more to see if they have done anything about the ugly IDE.
No it's just as ugly as it was three months ago. !
I came tothe forum because I was hoping to find some help. I clicked the debugger button (which is about as big as a football field) and got a message:
Quote:The ICD unit has and old version.... Use "Configure Hardware" i the Configure tab to update. end Quote.
Well I can;t find the configure tab ! or anything that mentions the words
"Configure Hardware" !
So I suspected it must be on the ICD dialog.
I have the ICD connected yet when I click the ICD Button it suggests to COM 1 ! The ICD is connected to the USB !

This is pitiful to say the least...

CCS does not seem to understand.....

Fancy bells and whistles do not a good IDE or compiler make....

CCS should concentrate on stability and better code generation. I don;t care if the IDE looks like a Windows 3.0 ... if it is stable and works it's GOOD... as it is now it's CRAP.
hansw
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:47 am     Reply with quote

The 'new' look & feel, from Microsoft (which is what the CCS IDE, is trying to use), is another result of marketting winning over sense. Historically the Windows layout for the last few years, was the result of the work a couple of decades ago, at Xerox's Palo Alto research centre, which did a lot of work on how to layout a graphical interface, for good efficiency, and resulted in the core ideas that fed into Gem, Windows, the Apple desktop etc.. Each had their own features, but the basic mouse movements etc., remained the same. Over the years some real improvements in the interface have appeared (scroll button on the mouse for example), but the core has remained.
Unfortunately, MS, in trying to launch a 'new look', have ignored much of the ergonomics of the older interface. Developers writing applications with the new layouts have achieved varying degrees of success. Some have elected to produce a layout that can be customised to become quite efficient. Some like CCS, have produced a layout that is appalling. It'll be interesting when the first case comes against one of the companies like this in a few years, claiming RSI, caused by the new layout as opposed to the older design...
Now the layout of an application should really be the least part of it's structure. Using modern development tools, it should be possible to switch a graphical application to a different layout in a few minute's work, and should have no real effect on the application behind. In many cases, applications expose their actual calls via the API, allowing you to customise the front end completely. So on the MS applications, it is possible to use any of the office applications from inside one another. Hence the way that you can for example change the desktop look on XP, to match Windows 3, without any effect on what can actually be done, and run small script applications with their own look and feel, which use all of the power of the Office applications (for example),'behind the scenes'.
Conversely, CCS, seem to be making a real "pig's ear" of changing the layout, trying to do too much at once (changing both the compiler and the IDE, without getting one working first...), and not allowing the level of customisation possible on most modern applications.
I just wish they'd stop wasting time on the IDE, get the compiler to work, and only then modify the IDE, listening to complaints while doing so.

Best Wishes
C-H Wu

Re: 4 is to ugly and and uncomroftable
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:57 am     Reply with quote

I am using CCS 3.228 IDE along with 4.xxx compiler, they do live together happily! Laughing

V4 is installed in a directory differently from the V3 directory, then copy the V3 IDE (ccsc.exe and pcw.exe) into the V4 directory, that's all.

Best wishes and ...

Merry X'mas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

What happened here? I just downloaded version 4 and I can't believe what I see.

1. Most Programmers have moved away from storing user files in the program directory, instead files are now stored in the User's Documents folder to allow multiuser access to the program with file separation AND to make backups simpler.

2. UI, why would I want to spend ~$500 for a program that has less usable space then the previous version, less usable space to wrote code then my web browser gives me to interact with web pages? You reinvented the wheel and came up with a cube, good work.

A temporary fix might be to have the Menubar autohide to regain wasted screen space.
AVR here I come.
Martin Berriman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
A temporary fix might be to have the Menubar autohide to regain wasted screen space.

To be fair to CCS, you can autohide the massive buttons. Under the Options menu, put a tick in 'Collapse Menu'. That's about as fair as I feel I want to be though as the new interface seems to me to make it hard to use and surely breaks countless GUI design rules Shocked

If this is the way all Windows apps are to go then I predict that Linux and Macs will become much more popular in future.

Ttelmah wrote:
I just wish they'd stop wasting time on the IDE, get the compiler to work, and only then modify the IDE, listening to complaints while doing so.

You are 100% right here. Forget the wacky new interface (the old one was perfectly usable and familiar as any standard Windows App) just get the compiler (and importantly the linker) working correctly Exclamation

C-H Wu wrote:
I am using CCS 3.228 IDE along with 4.xxx compiler, they do live together happily! Laughing

Interesting. If this works I would be much happier. The thing is though, I only use the IDE when I want to use the debugger - Will the V3 debugger work properly with the V4 compiled code?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:55 am     Reply with quote

It probably should do.
I have used the old IDE, with externally sourced assembler. Provided the .cod/.coff files are being generated correctly, it ought to work. Given some time, I'll have a play with this, since it would solve a lot of problems!...

Best Wishes
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Mind you, none of what I say should be considered an official statement (please read the forum rules), but here are my comments:

Menu/Ribbon - CCS is evaluating the GUI. CCS would like to give you both options (File Menu -or- Ribbon, which can be user selectable), but they don't have an estimate for completion.

Undo - I cannot recreate a problem with undo. If you have a problem, please e-mail me steps on how to recreate it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Martin Berriman wrote:
just get the compiler (and importantly the linker) working correctly Exclamation

The linker now seems to be working in 4.019.
See link for details.

version 4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:03 am     Reply with quote

How and when would we know when version 4 is fully bug free
Storic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 am     Reply with quote

I guess it would be based on the amount of communication to this thread Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:34 am     Reply with quote

The problem with that, is that a lot of people have just 'given up'...
The last couple of V4 compilers, seem to be largely generating working code, for 'old' stuff. As yet, few of the new features seem to properly work. Addresmod, still doesn't work (the write function is not called). Pointers, show some signs of starting to work in a few places, but little more than 3.249 was managing. The people trying the compiler, in many cases have 'given up' on the IDE, and are using MPLAB, an old V3 IDE, or some similar route round this. The linker does not quite work, but has started to generate an output (just doesn't work yet).
I'd now begin to feel that V4, was at last approaching a 'poor' beta status, and have started gently trying a few more complex tests to see how it fails.
When you think, that it was about eight or nine months ago, that the last properly 'working' update was made to the compiler, for many people, the best part of a year's upgrade subscription, has been a product that they have paid for, and received _nothing_. CCS, need to give all current upgrade holders, and recent purchasers six months free extension to their upgrade rights, to even approach compensating for this...

Best Wishes
Andreas

compiler v4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

Especially to titlmah, I have to agree fully, that CCS should extend the subscribers rights for at least another 6 month to get something for their payments.

Should we start a mailing action, so that CCS is at least recognizing
their failing to suppport paying customers ??

If somebody can write an "honor" email to CCS I will start imm to copy it and send it in my name aswell.

best regards
Andreas
BOB_SANTANA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 am     Reply with quote

I would have agree with both Andreas & Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:51 am     Reply with quote

BOB_SANTANA wrote:
I would have agree with both Andreas & Ttelmah

I feel the same way. I bought a years maintenance contract at the end of Nov06 because I wanted to use the linker functionality. I had checked this thread and things seemed to have gone quiet so I thought I would be safe to assume it was working once it reached version 4.018.
I have been left feeling slightly cheated and naive Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Since i have being cheated by CCS
i have decided to list my complier on Ebay for £10 per copy and see if they wont act ASAP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 11 of 19

Jump to: