CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Status of compiler versions on the CCS website?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckielstra

Status of compiler versions on the CCS website?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

From the CCS website it is not clear anymore what versions are considered Beta or Stable releases. For a long time V3.191 was announced to be the most recent stable version, all newer versions up to v3.22x were named Beta versions. Currently v3.191, v3.229 and v3.236 are on the website without any description on the reason for why those three different versions are there. Does someone know the current status? Stable, Beta??? Question
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

My feeling is that they posted the two versions under pressure
of complaint, and then sort of let it ride.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

My feeling is that versions around v3.226 are relative stable for the PIC18 processors. Support for some of the newer processors, especially PIC12 series is poor and improved upon in the newer releases.
v3.236 feels tricky because of the comment for changes 'to support the upcomming linker', this will require a lot of changes and create a lot of new bugs.
VanHauser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

So anyone knows which version is stable at the moment?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'd say that 3.229, is probably pretty safe. I found half a dozen new problems appeared in the mid 3.23x versions, of which most seem to have been fixed in the latest 3.242 version. I have just recompiled two programs with this, and put them on test for a couple of the older problems, and should hear over the next couple of days if they do work OK. I currently have 3.191, 3.221, 3.226, and 3.231, 'in use', and the last couple seem to be OK, for 99% of code, with a couple of 'known' problems (FP formatting in printf, is still not quite sorted right, even on the latest versions for example).

Best Wishes
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

The one where your applications don't choke is what's stable. I've gone thru the last 10+ versions without problems.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Virtually every version has had a bug or two (or three or four...) simply because they keep posting updates to fix bugs. You might not be using a portion of the compiler that has the bug so it would be fine for you to use. Just compile your code and if it works as expected, go for it. If it doesn't, use a previous rev.

Ronald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: