CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Question about proto board Software Prototyping Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kam

Question about proto board Software Prototyping Board
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'd like to hear some opinions about dev programmers/ proto boards.

Here is what I need...

#1. Be able to program most(?) PIC chips (12/16/18's etc)
#2. Be able to debug from same platform (icd)
#3. Be able to get easy access to ALL pins (breadboard?)

In other words, I would like to burn, test and reburn without removing my chip!

I am currently using the PicDem2 Plus board from MicroChip, and even though it does most of the above things, there are on-board test chips (ie. temp, max232, etc), that are using certain lines and are interfering with my code!

The *best* setup for me would be a platform where I can burn, get access to ALL the pins via breadboard, debug, etc.

I saw the CCS software board, and can I use ALL the pins without any conflict with onboard test stuff?

Any thoughts?

~Kam (^8*
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

I would recommend using a CCS ICD-U40 (which can program all of the PIC families you have mentioned) with a breadboard. To connect the ICD-U easily, get a female RJ11 connector with pigtail wires (DigiKey H9016-ND, Jameco 124038 cheaper) and plug it into your breadboard. Such setup worked for me many times.

The only drawback of breadboards is that the "largest" PICs 18F67XX and 18F87XX come only in surfacemount, and you'd need a fairly expensive adaptor for the breadboard. But for the small and medium PICs breadboard works just fine.

By the way, there were a lot of conversations about the development boards in the main forum, so you might find something interesting there.

Build my own...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Kender,

So what you are saying is that I use CCS's ICD that is connected via RJ11 to my breadboard, then I would have to wire my mcu (f452 in my case) to them so it can program them?

If thats the case, some questions/thoughts...

#1. I could just build my prototype right there since I have to make the MCU alive...I could just continue

#2. Wiring...what goes where?! I know, I know...RTFM...

~Kam (^8*

BTW, it's a nice Spring day here in Santa Cruz Cal...about 68 ~ 71 deg. What a strange Winter we're having...
KamPutty

Re: Build my own...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

#2. Wiring...what goes where?! I know, I know...RTFM...

why not just look in CCS's page on the ICD I ask...

http://www.ccsinfo.com/faq/?45

Right there in black and white!

~Kam (^8*
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
#1. I could just build my prototype right there since I have to make the MCU alive...I could just continue

Exactly. I would recommend using an oscillator instead of a crystal, becasue then you will not have to look for matching capacitors.

Anonymous wrote:
BTW, it's a nice Spring day here in Santa Cruz Cal...about 68 ~ 71 deg. What a strange Winter we're having...

Yes, the climate is pretty damn strange here. Especially for someone, who have moved here from Moscow (like myself) with much harsher (though predictable) continental climate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: