CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

LCD problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheptronics

LCD problem
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

<font face="Courier New" size=-1>Hello

I use the Software Prototyping Board + ICD programming module with a PIC16F877 and CCS C-Compiler.

I connected a compatible LCD backlit screen to the LCD port on the SPBoard but when I run programs using an LCD nothing is displayed on the LCD screen (and the screens doesn't light), including when I use the "ex_lcdkb.c" example program.

What are the known causes for non-displaying on a LCD screen, except the following ones :
-forgetting the "#include <lcd.h>" line
-forgetting to remove the ICD programming module before running the program
-connection error
-using an incompatible or broken LCD
?

NB : my screen is a Powertip PC1602-L (2x16, backlit) ; I also use a PC1601 (1x16, non-backlit).

Thank you very much,

chep </font>

Re: LCD problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:05 am     Reply with quote

Dear Chep,

PC1602-L:

check the contrast voltage at Pin 3 (Vo). You can get the required voltage from the datasheet. Notice that the voktage is referenced to the positive supply voltage for the logic. I think you can connect Pin 3 (Vo) to ground to get a reasonable contrast.

The backlight LED's must be supplies via Pin 15 and Pin 16 separately. Notice the high current consumption for the backlight, in this case approx 120 mA / 360 mA ! check the datasheet.

regards nilsener

:=Hello
:=
:=I use the Software Prototyping Board + ICD programming module with a PIC16F877 and CCS C-Compiler.
:=I connected a compatible LCD backlit screen to the LCD port on the SPBoard but when I run programs using an LCD nothing is displayed on the LCD screen (and the screens doesn't light), including when I use the "ex_lcdkb.c" example program.
:=What are the known causes for non-displaying on a LCD screen, except the following ones :
:=-forgetting the "#include <lcd.h>" line
:=-forgetting to remove the ICD programming module before running the program
:=-connection error
:=-using an incompatible or broken LCD
:=?
:=NB : my screen is a Powertip PC1602-L (2x16, backlit) ; I also use a PC1601 (1x16, non-backlit).
:=Thank you very much,
:=chep

Re: LCD problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:02 am     Reply with quote

:=Dear Chep,
:=PC1602-L:
:=check the contrast voltage at Pin 3 (Vo). You can get the required voltage from the datasheet. Notice that the voktage is referenced to the positive supply voltage for the logic. I think you can connect Pin 3 (Vo) to ground to get a reasonable contrast.

Thank you. This is the same for the PC1601.
I just didn't remember that maximal contrast is obtained with 0V in pin 3 and minimal (no display) with over 1V. I think I did the inverse and I put the 3rd pin of the LCD to +5V before my post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: