CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

sleep and WDT on 18f6585

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dietmar

sleep and WDT on 18f6585
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:23 am     Reply with quote

Hi, ia am using a 18f6585 device with RTOS on it.
I want to put it into low power mode and there are 3 ways i thought about...

1:Setting up WDT at startup but disablingit during sleep like that:
SETUP_WDT(OFF);
sleep();
SETUP_WDT(ON);
The pic would the be woken up by CAN bus or RS232.BUT:
Is this a safe way, is it possible that the pic hangs up itself during sleep when it is asleep for 24 hours?I dont want it to sleep forever, what i am building is a security controller...I need it safe!

2:Using Timer 1 or 3 with watchdog enabled.As i read in datasheet, these timers have a built in oscillator which is even active on sleep mode.Right???Well, is it possible to reset WDT with these timers and then immediatelly go into sleep again?An is this a good sleep mode, wakeing up every 80ms????

3:Setting up WDT, then sleep and reset the pic by watchdog. Then looking to reset cause , reading out the internal_eeprom for getting the current mode the controller is in and switch back to that mode.... But is it possible to read out the eeprom every two seconds and that over years? Wouldnt it be damaged???

Well are there any other ideas or what is the best and safest way to go into low power mode? any suggestions? Thanks for ur help....
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:09 am     Reply with quote

Just use the WDT, and set it to give a reset at suitable intervals.
You don't need to read the EEPROM. You memory registers are maintained during sleep, and will still hold the contents they held when the chip went to sleep. For real security, add an external timer, with a long interval (a minute or more), and reset this whenever the chip wakes. If something goes _really_ screwy, and the chip does not wake, this can be used to force a full reset.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: