CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Add device 16F636 in device editor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d00dajo

Add device 16F636 in device editor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:39 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

I am updating a design to use a new microchip IC pic16f636. Now, since we have a somewhat old version of CCS compiler that particular chip is not in the device list. So, I will use the chipeditor to add the new chip. CCS tech supp. has been kind to send me the .h file needed. However, I find it hard to figure out what to type in the device table editor (Which features to mark, the mask/value for LP,XT a.s.o and not least the interrupts and RAM adresses accessible. (New in 636 each RA has own interrupt on change etc).

Does anyone have the 636 in their Device Table, and if so could you publish the information in the editor (edit)? (or email me). (I can probably figure it out by reading up on the datasheets for 636, but it is faster and less errorproune to copy a correct device).

Also, I have run into an annoying problem, I cannot "copy" in the device table editor (to make a new uC called PIC16F636) , I can however change the devices already present. We have reinstalled and find that this error persists on all WinXp and Win2000 installations. (And we dont run win98 etc. on any machine). Has anyone else had this problem, and could you solve it? (It is not that big of a problem since I can just edit another chip and invoke #device PIC16F74 for example in my C-code, but it is annoying not to be able to change the device to its correct name.

Best Regards,

Daniel Johansson
Application Engineer, RCS Development
EmpirBus AB
daniel.johansson@empirbus.com
Grailman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:36 am     Reply with quote

d00dajo,
did you ever get an answer on adding devices? I'm trying to add a 16F628 but can't seem to find out what the PCFG and ADRES values are supposed to be. They really should indicate how to use the Device Editor a little better...
d00dajo(2)

Device Editor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm trying to add a 16F628 but can't seem to find out what the PCFG and ADRES values are supposed to be.

Hi Grailman,

We actually updated our license so I never needed to make the manual additions. Can you post/email a printscreen of the editor and I can try to figure out what you should inpout into the missing fields given the device editor I have. (The editor does not look the same in the newer versions, so I cant find "ADRES" and "PCFG", but I should be able to figure out what´s "missing" in your version.)

//Daniel[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Daniel. Here is a pic of a 16F84A in the Device Editor (ver 2.660). I am adding the 16F628A chip which is a pin for pin replacement of the 16F84A so I was going to start with this device in the editor. The main items I am having trouble with are the PCFG and ADRES values. I'm also not positive about the Par Device# (just the device number F628?) and the C scratch (starting address of the RAM?):

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a screen shot of a modern version of the Device Editor
for the 16F628.
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.asp?m=55879

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the post PCM, it should help. You wouldn't happen to have an image of a 16F84A in the new editor by chance?

Mike
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 am     Reply with quote

No, I don't.
However, I can make suggestions on the items that you circled in red.

PCFG and ADRES are associated with the A/D converter.
The 16F628A doesn't have an A/D. So if "Channels" is set to 0,
I suspect that the compiler ignores the values in PCFG and ADRES.

"Par Device" means "Parent Device". That's the first PIC in the series.
Other chips in the series just add more ROM and RAM. So in this case
it would be "627". However, maybe your version of the compiler
doesn't have a 16F627 ? I don't know what happens in that case --
maybe you should just use 628A as the parent device.
(or maybe leave it as 0F84).

"C scratch" is an area of RAM that the compiler uses for its variables.
In the 16-series PICs that don't have a common RAM area, CCS likes
to use the first part of ram for this, so set it to 20 (0x20).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:44 am     Reply with quote

That should get me up and running with it.

Thanks again PCM,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: