CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Does 16f876 use 40MHz?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Einly

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Does 16f876 use 40MHz?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Dear all,

I would like to read an input clock frequency up to 36MHz. Does PIC16f876 support that speed? If not, can anyone suggest one chip to me? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:47 am     Reply with quote

The PIC16F876(A) has a maximum clock speed fo 20MHz (5MIPs).

Look at the PIC18F devices for 40MHz clocks. Remember the clock is divided by 4 internally so a 40MHz PIC is executing 10MIPs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

How to read up to 36MHz input signal frequency?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:57 am     Reply with quote

If I would like to read an input signal frequency up to 36MHz, then what type of chip should I use? Is it related to the crystal osc frequency? Can I use PIC16f876 or should I use pic18? Which chip (for 18 series)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 am     Reply with quote

And do what with the signal? Even a 40MHz PIC isn't going to do anything with it. The internal instruction cycle on a PIC18 @ 40MHz is 10MHz. If you tried to capture a 10MHz signal the timer value would only be 1!
rwyoung

Re: How to read up to 36MHz input signal frequency?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Einly wrote:
If I would like to read an input signal frequency up to 36MHz, then what type of chip should I use? Is it related to the crystal osc frequency? Can I use PIC16f876 or should I use pic18? Which chip (for 18 series)?

Can you tolerate a divide by 10 (or greater) between your signal source and the counter input on the PIC? If so, add a decade divider to scale back your signal. Or make the divider programmable by the PIC so you can alter the scale to trade resolution vs jitter vs maximum frequency and cover a very large range of input frequencies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: