CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

AVR MICRO VS PIC MICRO
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trampas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Well I know that the MSP430 product line has low power but I personally have not developed anything with them yet.

As far as Paul_B's question on getting started. I know that for the TI DSPs I attended a 1 day work shop where you got a development board and limited version of the compiler. I think the cost was around $500. This was everything you needed to get started. When you step up and start making your own board you most likely will want to purchase a real JTAG adapter.

Trampas
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

Don't forget about Freescale (Motorola). They have great tools. I think those who like all the built in stuff with CCS would like their "Processor Expert". It makes setting up a project pretty easy and allows migration to other chips a snap.
Jerry507

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:14 am     Reply with quote

I'd also like to thank everyone for their input. The project I'm working on now restricts me to PICs but I've wanted to switch to another processor. I agree with dbotkin though, the pic rules the middle line. We're using 12F675's all over the place on our project because they're tiny and they perform exactly the function we need at an excellent price/space/power point.

But I think several others are right, PIC doesn't seem to have the top end nailed down. Right now I think they're relying on customers who started at the lower end products to stick with PIC when they need something faster because they know PIC rather then because they really have a good product. The DS series is nice, but it doesn't seem to compare to other lines like ARM or TI.
Yashu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

Cool post.

Been using PICs since 1996. Should have bought stock.

With all the complaining I do about them, I must agree they're probably the best of a rotten bunch.

Topped out with the 18F8720... but, decided to just increase the number of processors instead. It does have it's advantages. The PSP is a nice feature for this topology.

Been looking at the Rabbit, but, they're compiler's lame. Softools.com looks OK.

The post about the TI looks very interesting. Maybe I'll revert back to the old days of the TMS320xxx.... and their new derivatives.

Wonder how the Analog Devices ADSP-21xx and Sharc are doing these days. I remember they were pretty expensive, but, the H-architecture would put the TI's to shame in performance.

A JTAG emulation port on the PICs would be a great persuader to stick with them. The ICD2 is just plain ho-hum... like sitting in traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: