CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Serial comms to multiple pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringo

Serial comms to multiple pics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:32 am     Reply with quote

I want to hook my pc to multiple pics on 1 pcb. I'll have a max232 chip to do teh level conversion, but my question is can I tie the tx lines from each pic together and then route them to the MAx232 chip. The pics will not be talking at teh same time, but my question is does #use rs232() function tristate the outputs when not transmitting? if not will a simple x=input(tx_pin) be good enough after packet is sent? I could put in a mux of some sort but don't have much board space left.
Thanks
Ringo
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:38 am     Reply with quote

You should use RS485 for what you are doing.

BTW, it does not matter what the PIC is doing with the Tx line. What matters is what the transceiver (RS232 chip) is doing.
ringo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:46 am     Reply with quote

485 still involves more IC's which I'm trying to stay away from. THe TX (tx from the pics point of view) lines will just be inputs into the transceiver, so it is not an issue. What I want to avoid is the contention on the lines from both pics driving thier tx lines at the same time.
Ringo
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Okay, I see now that you are only using 1 RS232 transceiver. Sounds like a bad design idea to me. CCS isn't going to tristate the Tx pin. But, you can do this your self. Just enable it before you transmit and disable it after. Just make sure the data is sent out the tx shift register before you disable it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: