CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

intermitent resets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave.t

intermitent resets
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have a project which uses an 16f877 running at 4mhz using a ceramic resonator. When I power up - the system does not always reset properly (although the prototype does!). I have a 10k resistor from mclr to +5v and a 10uf tant from mclr to ground and have set the fuses correctly. Could it be the resonator? What make of resonator is recommended for this pic?
I have read microchips AN607 application note but it does not state which make of resonator to use.
Any help would greatly appreciated!

Dave

Re: intermitent resets
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:08 am     Reply with quote

A couple of ideas:

1) You need to put a diode across the 10 k resistor to MCLR. This will discharge the capacitor every time the power rail drops. Otherwise the power has to off for a long period of time before you get a real reset.

2) You need to put 100 ohms in series with the MCLR line to prevent the capacitor charge from latching up the PIC when the power rail goes away.

3) Did you use a ceramic resonator with built in caps? You need loading capacitors to get the proper phase shift on the oscillator. I have used many types of resonators from several manufacturers and I have not had problems with any. Panasonic makes some fine parts and you can get them from DigiKey.

Steve H.

One more thing...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:09 am     Reply with quote

One more thing....

Make sure you use the PUT (power on timer) and BOR (brown out reset) fuses.

Steve H.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:14 am     Reply with quote

Do you have any external circuit connected to your PIC board what has a separated power supply? If so then turning BOR on as Steve suggested could be a solution but check the PIC's power line: if an external circuit feeds one (or more) of your PIC pins by 5V logic level then you can measure 4 - 4.4V what is pretty enough for the PIC.

:=Hi all!
:=
:=I have a project which uses an 16f877 running at 4mhz using a ceramic resonator. When I power up - the system does not always reset properly (although the prototype does!). I have a 10k resistor from mclr to +5v and a 10uf tant from mclr to ground and have set the fuses correctly. Could it be the resonator? What make of resonator is recommended for this pic?
:=I have read microchips AN607 application note but it does not state which make of resonator to use.
:=Any help would greatly appreciated!
:=
:=Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

All advice given by others is good.

However you can simply connect the MCLR line to +5V (no 10K needed) and use the PUT.

That will guarantee a clean reset everytime your system is powered ON, and save a resistor and Cap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: