CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

New to A/D MAX1231

View previous topic :: View next topic  

New to A/D MAX1231
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

First Iknow this is a PIC forum but I have posed this question on a so called elctronics forum and nobody replied, I have been here a few times and alwys got help so sorry but I could do with a hand.

I'm New to A/D and I have found what I think is the chip (MAX1231) I need, but would like anyone to have a look and tell me if it won't work or I'm missing something.

I want to measure a pack of 1.5v batteries that are in series using the differential inputs and the SPI interface to a PIC. the configuration would be like this.

AIN0 - GND of 1st batt
AIN1 - + of 1st batt
AIN2 - GND of 2nd batt, which is also + of 1st batt (basically AIN1+AIN2 tied together, etc. etc. so I'm using 8 connection to monitor 7 batteries.

Also I have another question, Will I need a external VREF of say 4v as the internal differential VREF (2.5v) appears to be -VREF/2 to +VREF/2 only giving a max of +1.25v

Hope this all makes sense.

Thx

Am I asking a hard question?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Title says it all.

Thx
SimpleAsPossible

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Is the ADC power supply isolated from the stack of batteries? It will need to be in order to use the differential inputs on a 5 V part to measure 12 V of signal.

If not, can you get away with dividing the voltages and reading the values more slowly? You'll need to decide how much current you can stand through the divider stack....note that as source impedance goes up, so must the T/H acquisition time. Hmmm...for a really slow update rate you might be able to switch a low-impedance divider stack on only when you need to take your readings....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: