CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I2C functions (CCS PIC-C)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg_Smith

I2C functions (CCS PIC-C)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

I am quite new to PIC and I2C, so please exlain each step! (Sorry)
I am using two PIC 16F8776, one as a Master and one a slave, I have the Master and the Slave working.
However, I cannot work the slave with an Interrupt function but would like to....any help would be very mcuh appreciated....?
This is the slave code attempt for the interrupt but I have become confused as to getting it working? PLEASE HELP

#include <16f876.h>
#fuses HS, NOWDT, NOPROTECT, NOLVP
#use delay(clock=20000000)
#use i2c(SLAVE, SDA=PIN_C4, SCL=PIN_C3, address=0xa0)

#INT_SSP
void ssp_interupt (void)
{

if (i2c_poll()) {

//if (i2c_read()==0xa0) {
set_pwm1_duty(50);
set_pwm2_duty(200);
output_high(pin_b0);
output_low(pin_b1);
output_high(pin_b2);
output_low(pin_b3);
//}

} else
i2c_start();
i2c_write(0xa0);
i2c_stop();
}

void main() {

// slave program

port_b_pullups(TRUE);
set_tris_b(0xff);
setup_timer_2(T2_div_by_16,255,16); // Pulse period = 1/[(PR2+1)*4*(1/clock)*(timer_2_prescaler_value)]
setup_ccp1(ccp_pwm); // Configure CCP1 as a PWM
setup_ccp2(ccp_pwm);

enable_interrupts(GLOBAL);
enable_interrupts(INT_SSP);

while(1) {
delay_ms(50);
};

}
Code:
Code:
Code:
valemike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

I implemented Microchip's App note AN735, as many others have done as well.

I used CCS's libraries for the master, but implemented my own interrupt-based one (you have to use interrupt-based i2c for the slave).

Here is the code that I have running...

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19555&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=valemike&start=15

The slave does report NAKs, which I think is due to the master implementation, but i've never found NAKs to be a problem. Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but hey, it gets the data through Confused
Thomas Blake

NAKs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

For the record, a lot of i2c slave devices use the NAK as an indication that a read operation is complete. So while this is OK for 2 PICs it may be teeth-gnashing if you ever work with a chip like (say) the Cirrus CS8416 and many others.
valemike

Re: NAKs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Thomas Blake wrote:
For the record, a lot of i2c slave devices use the NAK as an indication that a read operation is complete. So while this is OK for 2 PICs it may be teeth-gnashing if you ever work with a chip like (say) the Cirrus CS8416 and many others.

Oh, so it is normal to get NAKs then? That's good. I thought i was supposed to get something else, like maybe an ACK (I haven't read the i2c spec completely yet, since my "RTFM" activities usually are just limited to glancing at pictures. Laughing )
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:03 am     Reply with quote

The Master will, usually, send a NACK at the last transmitted byte indicating, to the Slave, that it is finished doing it's thing. Then, if the Master is going to free up the I2C bus, it will send a Stop indicating to any other Master, on the bus, that they are free to do their thing too. I've never used CCS's build in functions in the slave code, just used it's interrupt and had the ISR look at the data being sent and then do according to what it received. Clear as mud? Twisted Evil

Try searching this forum on this. That's what I had to do to get my Slave to work properly.

Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies, I have the slave and master working completly, but have scrapped the inerrupt for the moment!
I had a few timing issues that adding 5-10 cycles within the program seemed to work, but its never good too add lines in, not knowing whats going on!
When I have finished the code I will post it on here, maybe it could be useful to someone.
I am controlling 6 PIC 16F8776, ten PWM outputs and 10 ADC inputs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: