CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

SD memory card what is the dirty little secret.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
direnc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Please ignore the last question. I have figured out what's going on. I have been editing the logical drive insted of the physical drive.
aekalman

Re: SD memory card what is the dirty little secret.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Hans.

I'm a bit late to the party, but maybe I have some insight ...

1) The main marketing point about SD is that it's "4x faster" than MMC. That's because it can handle four concurrent data streams (though not in SPI mode). I wonder if this "feature" impacts the BS/FAT in SPI mode ...

2) Is it correct to say that your problems do not occur on cards 64MB or greater?

--Andrew
Hans Wedemeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:52 am     Reply with quote

aekalman wrote:
Hans.

I'm a bit late to the party, but maybe I have some insight ...

1) The main marketing point about SD is that it's "4x faster" than MMC. That's because it can handle four concurrent data streams (though not in SPI mode). I wonder if this "feature" impacts the BS/FAT in SPI mode ...

2) Is it correct to say that your problems do not occur on cards 64MB or greater?

--Andrew

Yes I know the SD protocol is faster.

I have tested sevaral 16, 32, and some 64, 128, 256 meg cards. I don't want to risk messing up the larger cards because they work in my camera ) BTW I have one 32 meg card that CANNOT be read on the PC or iPAQ but works just fine in my hardware... so beware you can destroy cards...

When my code/hardware reads the boot sector it gets 00 for almost all locations.

So far:

New card:
Comes with FACTORY formet as FAT12 My code/hardware reads the boot sector and get 00 for most locations.
Then my code puts a FAT16 boot sector in the first 512 bytes starting at address 00.
Then my code/hardware makes a directory and writes a file.

My code can now read/write the card no problems.

Put that same card back into the USB card reader (which uses SD protocol) and the FAT12 boot sector is still there, and the directory and files my hardware wrote are NOT visible.

Conclusion. The data sheets mentions DOS boot image areas in the secure area. Which makes me assume the card is keeping TWO boot sectors.

Tests to confirm my assumption:

Format FAT16 in the iPAQ using Flash Format program.
Format FAT16 in my hardware.

Result: My hardware makes a directory and writes a file, The USB reader can seethe directory and file. Make another dirctory and file on the PC using USB reader and my hardware can read it.

Abuot 2 months ago I contacted the SD org. in CA and they asked for $11,500 membership fee, althoug I could buy data sheet for $1100 . Some weeks ago someone said that the membership fee was only $1100...
I checked back and sure enouigh they have recenlty update the web site and changed the rules.
The $11,500 membership is now $4500 (has voting rights). The rabble can become members for $1100 but have NO voting rights, in fact they have NO rights at all, except one, which is the right to pay the SD org membership fee. !

I have a good mind to spend the $1100 and get the SD protocol info, just to prove my assupmtion about a crappy SD card system with TWO BOOT SECTORS..

I the meantime I have two 28 meg Sandisk MMC card on the way, and I expect no problems with them....
aekalman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Hans.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't mean so much that it was faster. Rather, I meant that perhaps the "concurrent operation" of the SD spec is achieved by some trickery / nonstandard stuff re the boot sectors, etc. within the SD spec. And that is itself the root of your problem. Of course, all of this is strictly conjecture on my part.

Did you use the FlashFile (AVR) stuff from prllc as the basis for your code?

I'm facing a similar problem (want to run SD on the MSP430 via SPI), and I feel that as MMC disappears and is replaced by SD, it's wise of me to standardize on an SD connector and SD cards. I can live with a size requirement (e.g. my users must use 64MB or larger SD cards), so I may not be as sensitive to the FAT12/FAT16 issue as you are ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

aekalman wrote:
Hi Hans.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't mean so much that it was faster. Rather, I meant that perhaps the "concurrent operation" of the SD spec is achieved by some trickery / nonstandard stuff re the boot sectors, etc. within the SD spec. And that is itself the root of your problem. Of course, all of this is strictly conjecture on my part.

Did you use the FlashFile (AVR) stuff from prllc as the basis for your code?

I'm facing a similar problem (want to run SD on the MSP430 via SPI), and I feel that as MMC disappears and is replaced by SD, it's wise of me to standardize on an SD connector and SD cards. I can live with a size requirement (e.g. my users must use 64MB or larger SD cards), so I may not be as sensitive to the FAT12/FAT16 issue as you are ...

Yes I ported the prllc code and that works fine. The port was so simple. I'm kind of stuck, can't discuss the prllc code with anyone becasue of the copyright. They (prllc) have a beta for the PIC and I have it, just don't have time to implement. I checked my ported code against the beta and it's the same at all the important stuff..

Anyway, as some far and distant country gets their hands on the SD stuff... I expect it will show up on the web just like the data sheets have, or it will become a black market item...
Sandisk removed the SD data sheet some time ago.... much like closing the gate after the horses have bolted...
MGP

Re: driver prllc for pic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Claus Linkmeyer wrote:
I have no repsects for copyrights

Why don't you just go to the PRLLC website, pay your $139 like the rest of us that use their excellent library and PRLLC will be happy to send it to you!

Mad
TSchultz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:35 am     Reply with quote

If you check out ARV freaks, I know the competition. There is are open source routines for FAT16/32 with read and write support. There are also drivers for SD/MMC cards that work quite well. There are a few small problems with the FAT drivers but they are easily fixed and will be released in a newer version. These are written for the GNU GCC port for the AVR. They have full directory support and have all the necessary functionality if you do not need long file name support.

I have the drivers working with an MMC card in an industrial test equipment application where I needed full write support. The biggest problem with using these on the PIC may be the RAM requiements, around 1.3KB. They could the ported quite easily.

I am currently in the process of porting the working routines I have to the TI MSP430 and then to the Zilog encore family. I will probably work on a port the PIC under CCS once I have a need for them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:51 am     Reply with quote

Did have some simular problems, strange behavior of memmory cards. I was using MMC ones and they got bad after corrupt writes when used in own hardware. After this the MMC cards could no longer be read in a PC/windows USB card reader.

In the end I managed to work around it, but not fond/solve the problem.

check this site, some info about SD card problems.
http://sdprob.aximsite.com/

re Me
TSchultz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I have had a few problems with a couple of MMC cards, but I have been able to "fix" them. It seems that the partition table can be easily corrupted in these things and depending on what you have for tools creating a new table is a problem.

Under Linux I have been taking a full binary image of the entire device. I am able to write this back to the card if things get corrupted. This image and a good hex editor has also been invaluable in troubleshooting some of the more subtle directory issues.

Mostly the corruption came from problems with the driver, although I have since seen a corrupted card with read-only routines running on it. Not sure what happened here. To make things stranger a Toshiba laptop was able to read/write to the card, but the partition type was invalid when I checked the binary image.
jimp

SD card using SPI comms clock question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

All,

I am using an SD Card with a PIC microcontroller. Is it possible to be able to suspend the clock going to the SPI I/F while I do something else such as an interrupt, and after the interrupt returns, go back to clocking the SPI I/F again, without losing data or running into timeout problems?
I would appreciate a response one way or the other as I have been searching for this info for about a week or so, and cannot find anything definitive. I want to ask before I change ny firmware because it's working fine now and I would like to be able to suspend the clock signal as a way of implementing some future features. I can't say what the features are at this point, but would like to knopw about suspending the clock. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me offline at jim@jpes.com.

Thanks and Regards,

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: