CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

In Circuit Debugger?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trampas

In Circuit Debugger?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:57 am     Reply with quote

OK, I have one of Microchip's ICD2 devices. I have never been able to use the device as a debugger. Most of the time when I try it will crash MPLAB. When it does not crash I set a breakpoint and hit run. It appears to run forever and never get to the breakpoint.

So since Microchip's tech support is dumb as I am, and have not been able to figure out why saying "it should work" does not fix the problem. I was wondering if their is a better way to debug PIC processors?

I think it may be that I expect to have more than one page of code and get it to run on the PIC processors which I gather they were never designed for such use.

Trampas
drolleman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:39 am     Reply with quote

You may have the default windows usb drivers loaded. I use the icd 2 every day. And it works fine, but it has problems if you use a proto board because the capacitance of the board may cause the signals to become slewd. i also use icd-s for programming and it also is even less dependible. I build the actuall board and have had no problems since. it would be nice if the could slow down the data rate (optional)so the don't become a problem.
valemike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:04 am     Reply with quote

On my laptop, i have MPLAB ICD 6.4. It is guaranteed to crash sooner or later when I use the ICD-2 to debug my board. I now use 6.5 (there is a also a 6.6 out there I think.) With 6.5, it barely crashes.

Another way to debug is to use Hyperterminal doing printf(). I use this to see if my floating point calculations are correct, since the MPLAB IDE cannot handle CCS's floating point stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Yeap I use hyperterminal and printf's alot for debugging. The problem is that I am not above stupid errors like if (i=0) { } or putting a less than instead of a greater than, etc. These problems take awhile to find using printf routines, while just stepping through the code once will usually find them right away.

I have MPLAB 6.6 currently installed, and was trying to get the ICD to work with the dsPIC processor and Microchip's development board. I was able to get the ICD working with pure assembly code. However when I do C code, I have found that something is hosed and the ICD gets stuck in a loop. Then when I halt the processor through the ICD, it will not show me where in the code I am, thus I have no way of knowing what is going on. Of course the code will run fine with out the ICD, or at least to my printf where I set the break point.

Trampas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: