CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

WARP 13 programmer error message

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minmin

WARP 13 programmer error message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using WARP 13 as PICSTART plus under MPLAB for pic 16f877, I have use it for two months, it works fine, but today I keep on getting error message: "Program Memory or EEPROM Data is protected. Reprogram the entire part." Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks

Minmin
Joan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Minmin:

I've been using WARP-13A for 2 years (upgrading it's firmware when it's needed) and it's a great programmer. The PIC you're using has info into it's EEPROM you must rewrite to program. Click the option (Up and into your rigth hand) that allows you to program the EEPROM.

Hope it will helpfull.

Regards;

Joan Idea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

Joan,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the EEPROM program, put tick in that check box It still didn't work. I tried to just program the configuration bits, Still not work, it read all 0. I checked the help menu under warp 13, it states, even device is code protected, it still can program the configuration bits, I did check the signal and voltage for this five pins, I'm using isp programming, it all correct, vpp is 12 v, vcc is 5v, rb7 and rb6 is 5 v. So the only probability is my PIC chip on dlp245pb board is damaged, or I acciently change the pid/vid burned in EEPROM on dlp245pb this is what dlp support told me the possible reason.

I will let you know the results as soon as I get a new dlp board.

Minmin
Joan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:19 am     Reply with quote

Hi Minmin:

If you've programmed the PIC with the option "Code Protect ON" you will never read nothing from the PIC ... you will read all "0". This is the pourpose of Code Protect.

One probe you can do is to program the same PIC in stand-alone mode. If the PIC is programed when inserted into the WARP-13 ZIF socket then the problem is in your dlp245pb PCB. If not, then your WARP can be damaged.

If possible I don't recommend ISP because you can damage your programmer easily.

As I said, I'd programmed thousands of PIC's (12,16,18 Family), EEPROMS, etc, and I never had any kind of problem.

For your info, my WARP-13A software is 1.09.07 (9th March 2004) and the programmer is RX28 v1.6. You can actualice them (software & Firmware) from the web of New Found Electronics:

http:www.newfoundelectronics.com

I hope you will solve the problem Wink

Best Regards;

Joan Idea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

Joan,

I got new dlp board just now, I could sucessfully download program, So the problem is PIC 16f 877, I still don't understand how Can I so easily to damage it. Also In your last email, you say using ISP will hurt programmer, so What shall I pay attention? And what shall I do not to damage my PIC chip next time?

Thank you

Minmin
Joan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Joan,

I got new dlp board just now, I could sucessfully download program, So the problem is PIC 16f 877, I still don't understand how Can I so easily to damage it. Also In your last email, you say using ISP will hurt programmer, so What shall I pay attention? And what shall I do not to damage my PIC chip next time?

Thank you

Minmin

Hi Minmin:
The main thing you have to pay attention is this: your dlp must be without Main Voltage. Is very easy to forget to power off the main voltage between proves.

This voltage can damage your WARP-13. Remember that it's a LOW COST programmer and you don't know if it has a good inverse voltage protection, etc ....

Don't touch directly the PIC pins, ESD can damage it. If you don't have a ground discharge point you can damage any IC by touching it.

To prevent this kind of errors I recomend to program the PIC into the ZIF socket provided with the programmer. I don't know if you're using SMD Technology on your PCB but if it's possible avoid ISP Programing.

( You can register for free your login into CCS Forum ).

If you have any kind of problem with WARP-13 you can send me an e-mail to my MSN-adress or you can contact newfoundelectronics tech support.

Best Regards;

Joan Idea
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: