CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Off Topic: AD to read 4-20mA with low input imepedence

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Off Topic: AD to read 4-20mA with low input imepedence
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Ok, newbie here.. I've done a lot of AD using the internal PIC, but recently I needed to measure 4-20mA. I can get resolution at high input impedence, but as I lower the input imepedence I lose resolution. Anyone have any recommendations or a smack in the head or a good external AD to look at?

Thanks.
Joan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

Do you remember the Ohm law V=R*I and P=V*I ( or P=R*I*I )?

Use it. Find and R that gives you 5V for 20mA and put your Vref at 5V. Next, prove that the Power that gives your sensor it's enougth for the R you find before.

The max resolution is when you Full Scale it just in the limit of your measure. ( For example for measure 4.95 Volts is better a Vref of 5V that 10V ).

Regards;

Joan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Yes. The problem is when I increase R I increase the load resistance. I want to reduce R, but when I do that I decrease resolution.

I need minimum load resistance.

I am not asking for anyone to design this for me, I am just looking for a suggestion or a point in the right direction.

Thanks.
Joan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Hi:
A good hardware method is to put an Operational Amplifier in non-inverted configuration or a Diferencial Amplifier like the AD620 from Analog Devices. One time you have decided you best "R", amplify the Vr max ( max dropout voltage to R ) to 5V, doing the gain

G = ( 5 / Vr max )

Then you will give less impedance and high precission. Sometimes conecting the sensor directly to the A/D pin is not the best solution and we cannot jump the Ohm law. If we use some instrumentation basics we give the best result.

Understand that I'm not designing nothing only asking your question. Wink

Best Regards;

Joan.
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

I would look at an external sigma-delta converter if you can stand conversion rates of a few samples per second. Benefit is that you can set them up to filter 50 and 60 hz noise. I've used the AD7705 which has programmable gain. There are probably newer ones that are even better. Analog Devices and Linear Tech are good starting points.

- SteveS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: