CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Another Noob question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RatFink

Another Noob question
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:05 am     Reply with quote

I've been learning and working with one of the CCS C language development kit.

If I were to just buy a PIC16877 what do I need to program it? Something fairly inexpensive please.

Links to info also if you could.

Thanks
MGP

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:50 am     Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd get a CCS ICD or Microchip ICD2. That way you can program pretty much any of the flash-based PIC's and debug all those with the debugger interface (including the '877).

Kills two birds with one stone...

The CCS ICD is cheaper and (IMO) better than the ICD2, but it only works with the CCS Windows IDE/Debugger whereas the ICD2 is more expensive but works with MPLAB (which is free).
RatFink

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:05 am     Reply with quote

I have the ICD U40, it came with the CCS development kit, but how do I use that with a seperate chip? right now I have one of these;

it comes with a little prototyping board with the chip soldered in.

I guess I need something like this that I can put the chip in for programing, then take it out and install in a circuit board.
Woody

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:17 am     Reply with quote

Here's how I do it:

As you can see I use the CCS ICD-U, made a cable from RJ11 to a female 6-way Molex connector. Then a Molex 6 way male connector connected to 6 wires, red for +5V, black for 0V, yellow for Monitor (pin RB3), blue for PGD (pin RB7), green for PGC (pin RB6), orange for MCLR (pin 1).

At the end of the colored cables I soldered pins I pulled out of a gold-contact snap-strip, to make contact with the breadboard a little better. (Solder first, then pull the pins from the strip ;-)

Now just place your target chip on the breadboard, add 0V, +5V, a 39K resistor form MCLR to +5V and the oscillator stuff, then connect the aforementioned 6 wires to the right pins, power the breadboard, plug in the ICD and you're ready to experiment.

For me this works good. I am able to run the CCS debugger and also program the device from the IDE, which is nice. Cabling is not a problem, although I do have an issue with the ICD-U / RJ11 connection that every now and then gives me a 'Could not detect target chip' error. Apart from that this setup usually takes me all the way to my first prototype print. (Which also has the same molex male connector BTW to enable programming / debugging)

Hope this helps,

Paul
Neutone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:31 am     Reply with quote

RatFink wrote:

I guess I need something like this that I can put the chip in for programing, then take it out and install in a circuit board.

In Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) is a better solution. Removable chip sockets add more cost than a 6-6 Modular header that your ICD-U can plug into.
RatFink

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your ideas. Do either of you have links to something that might give a more detail explanation? maybe schematics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: