CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CMOS cameras

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel Caffese

CMOS cameras
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone interfaced -or even tried- a PIC micro with any CMOS camera ?
Been looking at Omnivision and ST, but couldnīt find one that would give data in 8 bits format, or something similar.
I would appreciate any hint.

Gabriel.-
Pete Smith

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Re: CMOS cameras
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Gabriel Caffese wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone interfaced -or even tried- a PIC micro with any CMOS camera ?
Been looking at Omnivision and ST, but couldnīt find one that would give data in 8 bits format, or something similar.
I would appreciate any hint.

Gabriel.-

I've only connected a PIC with a CMOS _video_ camera (i.e. 256 lines, 320 columns, black & white).

I designed a video digitiser. Large amound of fast RAM, 4MHz pixel clock, running an 8 bit counter (columns), reset from the h-sync pulses. Rows were taken care of by the PIC.

A/D was done by a CA3306 IIRC (high speed flash 6 bit A/D converter, using 4 MSBits). Sync separator was an off-the-shelf sync separator.

HTH

Pete.
Greg-

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I am also very interested in this and had a look at the Omnivision cameras and the modules sold here:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/cmos_cameras.htm

I never got around to purchasing one, but would be very interested if anyone has attempted and had success with similar projects?

I was wondering how one would retrieve and store an image from the camera as they would exceed the PIC's ram capacity.

Greg
Gabriel Caffese

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

Greg,
One sure thing, is you have to store image/s in an external memory.
Iīve seen that OV uses a propietary protocol to transfer images, a bit complex.
I would like to see one that may work with an 8bit port.

Pete,
I would prefer using a digital one. More direct,a dn not so "MHZ hungry".

Gabriel.
Pete Smith

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:05 am     Reply with quote

Gabriel Caffese wrote:
Greg,
One sure thing, is you have to store image/s in an external memory.
Iīve seen that OV uses a propietary protocol to transfer images, a bit complex.
I would like to see one that may work with an 8bit port.

Pete,
I would prefer using a digital one. More direct,a dn not so "MHZ hungry".

Gabriel.

I may actually be working on a project that might require a 1.3 or 2.1Mpixel digital camera device, and the devices on the Omnivision website seem very good actually.

Is the 10 bit such an issue? You could read in 10 bit, and then down-sample to 8 bit before storage.

Their digital camera devices certainly appear to be fairly straightforward to interface to.

HTH

Pete.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to put in a shamless (or shamefull) plug here.

I work at Micron Technology and we have some nice CMOS visual sensors here. We've had some nice reviews about them too. I'm trying to get ahold of some so I can start to play with them too. Just look them up on our website www. micron.com. The spec sheets are available for download, as well.

Ronald
Pete Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

rnielsen wrote:
I'm going to put in a shamless (or shamefull) plug here.

I work at Micron Technology and we have some nice CMOS visual sensors here. We've had some nice reviews about them too. I'm trying to get ahold of some so I can start to play with them too. Just look them up on our website www. micron.com. The spec sheets are available for download, as well.

Ronald

Interesting. I see you've got a UK distributor, but do you have ball-park prices for "sample" levels of MT9M001? eg $10, $50, $100 etc. I'm just fishing for info at this point.

Do you stock/know where I could get compatible lenses, that would just attach to a PCB?

Thanks,

Pete.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not in Sales but after looking at a distrubutor's site, it looks like the price is around $16.40 USD. Try www.arrowuk.com and see how to get a quote from them. As far as lenses go, I don't have a clue. I am still learning about them since I am in a different division than Vision.

Good luck.

Ronald
Pete Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:02 am     Reply with quote

rnielsen wrote:
I'm not in Sales but after looking at a distrubutor's site, it looks like the price is around $16.40 USD. Try www.arrowuk.com and see how to get a quote from them. As far as lenses go, I don't have a clue. I am still learning about them since I am in a different division than Vision.

Good luck.

Ronald

Interesting. When the time's right, I'll contact Arrow (I've dealt with them in the past) and see what they can do.

Thanks,

Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: