CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

rs232 problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UU

rs232 problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 am     Reply with quote

do i need a rs232 level shifter for connecting a the pic from the millenium board to a GSM modem
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Most likely yes. What GSM MODEM?

It appears that the Millenium already has a level shifter on the board.

John
UU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

its an Enfora sa-gl, ive written code but it wont respond to anything i send to it from the pic, the millenium board uses the max202, ive measured the voltages they are -ve coming out from millenium board is this the way it should be, any more advice? thanks
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:51 pm     Reply with quote

Use the following approach to trouble-shooting:

Try the MODEM with a PC and a terminal program similar to Hyperterminal. Does it work? (You need to know whether the MODEM will respond to any comms presented to it.)

Try the Millenium with a PC in the similar manner. Does it work? (You need to know whether the Millenium is actually producing any serial comms.)

Determine the configuration of the Millenium. Is the pinout on the DB9 configured as a DTE or DCE? If you don't understand the difference, then Google the terms and read up on them. (This will tell you whether you can use a straight through serial cable or a null MODEM cable.)

Another possibility is that the MODEM maybe configured for flow control. Read up on the MODEM and learn about the flow control options available on it and how to disable them.

John
UU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:55 am     Reply with quote

the modem is working on hyperterminal, and the millenium board is putting the right commands to hyperterminal its when the two are connected nothing happens i have a debugging prgram written to check the comms. ive made my own leads so that should be ok.

i am using the 3 wire version i took your advice and check with the company to disable the cts and all that, great help just about to try it out now, thanks very much for your help, very very much appreciated(hopefully it works now!!)
UU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:20 am     Reply with quote

it still doesnt work will i have to tie the RTS to the CTS, because the commands are not working
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:29 am     Reply with quote

If you are using the same cable to test
modem to PC
PIC to PC

then you will need a crossover cable (Null Modem) for
PIC to modem
UU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:02 am     Reply with quote

the problem lies with the PIC and modem communicating with each other, i am using the 3 wire version from the pic to the modem, the other cabling is ok.
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
ive made my own leads so that should be ok.

Don't assume anything. Provide the pinout for the cables. Mark provides good information about whether a Null MODEM cable is required. Have you tried a Null MODEM cable?

Find a terminal program that will allow you to manually assert/de-assert RTS/CTS, etc. That could help in your debugging.

One thing that will help you get much more support from the experts on this forum is to make the effort to provide detailed information about your problem. Tidbits here and there only show that your not quite willing to spend the time to explain your problem. If your not willing to take the time to explain your problem, why should anyone take the time to solve your problem? A detailed explanation with cable pinouts, progress so far, program listings, compiler version, PIC part number, etc., can most times lead to the solution in one quick response from the pros.

(If you can get the MODEM and PC communicating with 'No Flow Control' set, then RTS and CTS are not a factor... NULL MODEM, NULL MODEM, NULL MODEM.......)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: