CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

how to steal power from PIC instead of PC RS-232 port

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Lai

how to steal power from PIC instead of PC RS-232 port
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

I have a board, which outputs data with RS232 (MAX3227), the board get power out of PC RS232 port ( or from TD/RTS/DTR).

Now I want to work this board with PIC micro controller, need to supply power to the board. Can somebody tell me how to supply it? If it is supplied by MAX232 (possible?), which PIN are used to replace TD/RTS/DTR?

Thanks,
Oliver
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

I suggest you hook up the board to a PC and measure the voltages on each pin. Then connect the board to your PIC and try to simulate each of the voltages you measured, excluding those supplied by the PIC.
Another probably more difficult method would be to measure the current on each pin of the connection to the PC. The pin with the highest current is probably the power supply or ground.

have tried, failed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

I have tried in the following links:

keep the data link unchanged, add power from external power supply:

D9 PIN4 and PIN7 connect to +10V,
PIN5 is ground.

Still no data was captured (':evil')
languer

Have you monitored the signals?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:25 am     Reply with quote

You may have already done this, but have you monitored the suspect (power) signals Question Not with a DMM but with an oscilloscope?

The reason for the question is that I see you've already tried supplying power to the RS232 device (black box) with no luck. So I wonder if the device is not powered from this signals, but actually uses them for handshaking? What is the port setting of your COM2 port (where you originally got your device working)?

One other thing you could try is to connect this three (or two) lines from the PC's COM2 and the actual TX/RX lines to the PIC. Does it work now? It should if it is powered by them. It should not if it is expecting some sort of handshaking?

Hope it helps. Wink

After writing this, I decided to check on this MAX3227 device. Nice little thing, do you know it has an "AutoShutdown Plus" feature? When you disconect the cable from the device (i.e. when the device does not sense activity) or when there is no activity for 30secs, it will automatically shut down (no output signals at all; does this ring a bell Smile ). Anyway I thought you may want to check on this (if you have not done so already), but I think that it is expecting some sort of handshake from your PIC. The datasheet mentions a way of overriding this feature, so you may also want to look at that. Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: