CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

floating points and maths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian m

floating points and maths
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Quick question for you all.

i'm trying to do some calculations, i'm decalring some variables as doubles, however i'm getting an error saying it can't handle floating points.

does anybody know how to overcome this i need to be able to display decimals on my lcd for a project i'm doing.

also i can multiply no problem but divison doesn't work. any suggestions.

i'm using a 16f877 and not to sure of the ccs version.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

The double data type is not supported. You have to
declare them as float. Example:

float my_value;

To find your compiler version, compile a source file
without errors and then look at the top of the .LST file.
Example:

Compile TEST.C

Then look at TEST.LST

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:23 am     Reply with quote

float doesn't seem tobe working.

its only accepting ints, whcih are only 8 bit so its giving a range of -127 to +127

any ideas.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Just because you need to display decimals in your output doesn't mean you have to use floats. Floating point numbers use a lot of processor resources and should be avoided if at all possible.

Instead consider using scaled integers. If you need to display temperature to 1/100 of a degree, consider calculating it in integer "centidegrees." A signed long can then hold +/-327.68 degrees, enough for many applications.

As many on this list know I previously worked on a product that measured ship hulls, looking for rust, dents, warpage, etc.. We did our measurements in 24 bit integer millimeters. We could cover anything from the depth of a dent to the length of a supertanker. We did need another number format for measuring steel and paint thickness, 16 bit integer mils.

When we displayed data we would either print it to a string and use string functions to insert decimal points and commas in appropriate places, or use / and % to break the number where needed for printing. It took a little more programming effort than just declairing everything as huge floats, but the processing power required was dramatically lower and round-off errors were exactly predictable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
float doesn't seem tobe working.

its only accepting ints, whcih are only 8 bit so its giving a range of -127 to +127

any ideas.

You are really going to have to find the compiler version. Floats have been supported for longer than the 16F877, so something is 'silly'. Are you sure you have a 'full' compiler version, not a 'demo'?. I seem to remember one of the demo versions lacked float support.
As another poster has said, it can often be better, faster, and more code efficient to use a 'scaled integer'. However to do this you would need at least int16 support, or int32 support, and you seem to be stuck with signed int8. This is even 'odder', since the default type is unsigned. Are you even sure the compiler is 'CCS'?...

Best Wishes
Thomas Blake

Re: Floats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:17 am     Reply with quote

While I agree that something is goofy, perhaps even your compiler, I also agree that you should avoid floating point and use fixed-point as mentioned above. Essentially you should do a high-precision result, convert to BCD (assuming that's what your display accepts) and then just turn on the decimal point at the proper position on your display. You really should move the decimal point position for scale change if that is visually acceptable, because it's much simpler than any other way.

Another advantage of doing that is that you don't have to worry about IEEE-to-display format conversion. BCD is irritating enough as it is!

tcb
brian m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:44 am     Reply with quote

i've manged to sole the problem.

int count=0;
float speed=0;

speed=((float)count*(float)(22.00/7.00)*2*33);
printf(lcd_putc,"\n");

printf(lcd_putc,"\nC= %d,secs= %3.2f",count,speed);
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: