CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Design idea - will it work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picker

Design idea - will it work?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:33 pm     Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am in the early stages of a design I am interested in, which will have an "intelligent" device connected to a PIC18F8720's one serial port and the PIC connected to the PC via the other serial port. The intelligent device communicates at 115200 bps and my question is whether the PIC can efficiently handle this rate and whether I can use the same baud rate from the PC?

I have always got away with 9600bps, but this application needs a high throughput. From what I understand I can run the PIC from a 40Mhz crystal to allow me to get everything done. Will this increase in baud rate affect the cable length from the PC and are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

Regards
Picker
rrb011270.

Re: Design idea - will it work?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:53 am     Reply with quote

picker wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am in the early stages of a design I am interested in, which will have an "intelligent" device connected to a PIC18F8720's one serial port and the PIC connected to the PC via the other serial port. The intelligent device communicates at 115200 bps and my question is whether the PIC can efficiently handle this rate and whether I can use the same baud rate from the PC?

I have always got away with 9600bps, but this application needs a high throughput. From what I understand I can run the PIC from a 40Mhz crystal to allow me to get everything done. Will this increase in baud rate affect the cable length from the PC and are there any pitfalls I should look out for?

Regards
Picker

The PIC can handle rate of 115.2kbps for an RS232 device that will not exceed 25feet.

If you want a longer distance then use RS485.. it can run upto 1,200feet at a speed of 155.2kbps or greater. The speed of RS485 network depends on the chip you are going to use..

Hope this help.
TSchultz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:43 am     Reply with quote

The idea sounds OK, I prefer to use an RS-485 interface instead of RS-232. The differential signal(s) are more reliable and less sensitive to noise is properly terminated and handled. I like the Maxim fail safe drivers and normally use the MAX3089.

I would comment that you carefully consider the PIC selection. There seems to be some problem issues with the PIC18Fxx20 series parts. There are numerous erattas and it does not look like the problems are resolved yet. There are some additional problem with the PIC18LFxx20 series parts escecially with the config bits and part erasure and programming.

This family of parts have a lot of growing pains, we are using them in a design because of the 128K FLASH, of which we are using 85%. If we had not already invested so much time and effort we would change to another processor altogether.

This is first PIC series I have had major problems with and I am not inpressed with Microchip's handling of things. They seem to not want to admit to silicon problems and try and blame everything else. Once they get things right these should be nice parts, but for now they are a real "pain" to use sometimes.
RKnapp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:22 am     Reply with quote

I am a newbie to the use of these chips, but I think the 8720 can only run from a 20Mhz clock -- NOT a 40Mhz.

Do you have info about this? Could you pls point to it?

Thanks,

Smile Robert
Neutone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:15 am     Reply with quote

RKnapp wrote:
I am a newbie to the use of these chips, but I think the 8720 can only run from a 20Mhz clock -- NOT a 40Mhz.

Do you have info about this? Could you pls point to it?

Thanks,

Smile Robert

The PIC16 series are limited to 20Mhz the PIC 18 series are limited to 40Mhz. There are some exceptions that only take one speed.
mpfj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:26 am     Reply with quote

I think to clarify it should be pointed out that the 20-40MHz clock range is only achievable using the 4xPLL mode (when, say, a 10MHZ clock is used externally, and some internal PLL logic turns it in 40MHz).

That's why the datasheet might say 20MHz only at the max freq.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: