CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

someone help me

View previous topic :: View next topic  

someone help me
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:29 am     Reply with quote

should pins on port C have pull down resistors when interfacing with say a 74hc00. if no pullup or downs are used could it affect the speed of the switching of the pins?

i am asking because the pic at 20mhz wont sample right,

please give a guy some advice
dyeatman

Pullups
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Offhand, no, Port C does not need pullups or pulldowns.

If you try to change read/write at the port too quick you run into the read-modify-write issue on the PIC. This is not a CCS C problem but the way the port hardware on the PIC works.

Post the section of code where you set up Port C then 10 or so lines around where you try to sample it so we can see what you are trying to do.

Also include the PIC model and CCS C version and whether you are using a debugger, if so which one etc.
jds-pic2

Re: pullup resistors on high speed circuits
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

newbie wrote:
should pins on port C have pull down resistors when interfacing with say a 74hc00. if no pullup or downs are used could it affect the speed of the switching of the pins?

i am asking because the pic at 20mhz wont sample right,

please give a guy some advice

at 20MHz you should definitely be using pull-up/downs and not depending upon the PIC's internal on-die resistors. in general, the faster the circuit is, the lower the pullup/pulldown value should be. those 100K-ish "weak" pullups on some PIC ports are fine for low speed stuff, saving you a few cents in your circuit. but at your rates you should be using *maximum* 2K for pullups and pulldowns, and perhaps even lower values. otherwise you could end up with all kinds of problems due to slow rise times and ringing on your I/O. if you want clean 20MHz signals, tie some 470ohm resistors on your I/O. power up, and take a look at the waveforms with a 'scope. then, to reduce power consumption, replace the 470's with 1K's and look again at the waveforms. if everything still looks good, continue on. ps, make sure your 'scope probe is not contributing to Mr Heisenberg's fund.

and, please, as a convenience to everyone else and simply for common courtesy -- use a descriptive subject line. this way, when others are trying to solve similar problems, they can find your post in the archives. your subject line is simply a plea for help and provides no information whatsoever regarding the content.

jds-pic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: