CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICSP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Prost

ICSP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced ICSP that will program 16F819 pics. I am using a PIC Start Plus and am getting tired
of transferring the processor back and forth.
Pete Smith

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Re: ICSP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Derek Prost wrote:
Can someone suggest a reasonably priced ICSP that will program 16F819 pics. I am using a PIC Start Plus and am getting tired
of transferring the processor back and forth.

If the 16F819 is ICSP compatible, you can "cheat" and program it In Circuit using the Picstart Plus - I did it to F84, F87X's for years, before I got a Warp 13.

All you need to do is get an IDC header with the same number of pins as the PIC you're programming, connect the 5 (or 6/7) wires needed for programming from the correct pins on the header, and take these wires to a connector on your PCB, and then connect them to the same pins on the PIC.

The pins you need are Vdd, Vss, RB6, RB7 and MCLR (some PICs have more than one Vdd & Vss, so I always connect them together at both ends).

You've just got to make sure that you've got adequate circuitry on the PCB end - make sure MCLR is "separated" from Vdd properly (use a diode IIRC). The full details can be found on the Microchip website (their ICSP manual).

HTH

Pete.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:07 am     Reply with quote

I use the EPIC from microengineering labs. It is more robust than a hacked PICstart Plus. But I could not leave it alone, so I hacked in a souped up 5V power supply in the download cable. This allows me to power my whole project board while programming. Before I did this I would have to have jumpers to disconnect stuff, a bad idea at best.

http://www.melabs.com/ $59 EPIC parallel port programmer
$79 EPIC USB probrammer

Lawrence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: