CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

car cigarette adapter - 12v to 5v

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaiguetz

car cigarette adapter - 12v to 5v
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi doods,

I am searching for a 12v cigarette adapter power supply that can derive 5v to my PIC project.

But I saw some schematics that the person who made place one capacitor 1000uf on the 12v and another on the 5v side, regulating the voltage using the 7805.

And i heard that the battery can supply a voltage that we must have a diode on the 5v side to prevent some burned components.

And i heard too that the 7805 get hotter and hotter when the schematic is on.
I dont have the necessary space on my circuit box to place a heatshrink.

So my question is,
Anyone have a secure schematic that can derive 5v to my PIC project and prevent the "hothothot" problem?

I saw a lot of schematics, but no that convince me (secure).

thanks a lot!
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

The basic circuit with the 7805 and two caps is OK if you don't draw much current. The circuit will generate heat as P=I * (12V-5V) so a 1 Amp load will cause the circuit to generate 7 Watts of heat, which will get toasty without heatsinking. However a 1/10 Amp load will only generate 0.7 Watts which is not bad. A simple PIC and an LED will only draw maybe 0.02 A so the 7805 will only generate 0.14 W which you will hardly notice. You have to know how much current your PIC project will draw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

mmm...
cool Smile

And about the diode?

Can I use an 5v1 zener diode or a 4007/4001 ?

Do you know any schematic image to guide me? ;)
sapy44

just buy one, they're cheap
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

I would suggest just buying a universal 12V car adapter. The have selectable output voltages in 1.5V steps to mimic battery volatges. Setting the output to 9V should do it. Heck even 12V should be fine. The prototype board form CCS feeds 12V into the 7805 and it works fine.

Make sure you get the polarity right thoug.I thinks the tip is postitive and the sleeve negative. Good luck.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
mmm...
cool Smile

And about the diode?

Can I use an 5v1 zener diode or a 4007/4001 ?

Do you know any schematic image to guide me? ;)

A Zener diode has exactly the same heat problems as the 7805, but it is smaller so it needs heatsinking at a lower power level. Stick with the 7805. The best way to learn how to use the 7805 is to look at the manufacturer's data sheet. They used to be made by National Semiconductor but are discontinued. The low power version LM78L05 datasheet is here:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM78L05.html#Datasheet
or you can switch to the newer substitute LM340:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM340.html

The data sheet will tell you all about how to use the chip, including any protection diodes you may or may not need.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

mmm...

I think that i will build as follow

capacitor (1000uf) -> LM 7805 -> capacitor (1000uf) -> zener 5v1 or 4001

what do you think?

Do you think that i will be safe? ;)
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
mmm...

I think that i will build as follow

capacitor (1000uf) -> LM 7805 -> capacitor (1000uf) -> zener 5v1 or 4001

what do you think?

Do you think that i will be safe? ;)

I would't bother with a diode here.
What you should/could do, is go:
diode-cap-LM7805-cap.
To prevent the real danger of a reversed supply.
However I have a big 'caveat', about the capacitor selection. A large capacitor (like a 1000uF), will perform very poorly at high frequencies. Hence it is normal to have:
fuse-diode-cap (100uF)-7805-small ceramic cap close to the regulator- 10uF cap.
Unless the incoming supply has a massive amount of ripple, or you are drawing high currents, a very large incoming capacitor is just extra size.

Best Wishes
thiaguetz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah!!

thank u a lot for the sugestion!

But which fuse an diode i must use?

What about a 0.20mA fuse and a 4007 diode?

What do you think?

thanks again!
Paolino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:38 am     Reply with quote

The diode 1N4007 or the 1N4003 are both good, in this case.

Fuse: the value to be choosen depends on how much current your circuit needs... Generally you can choose a fuse able to drain a current of 10% greater than max current needed by the circuit. In this way the fuses does not burn if you have peak of current.

Anyway, I think tha the best benchmark is the experience of each one.

Hope this helps...

Best wishes.

Paolo
thiaguetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:52 am     Reply with quote

mmm...

pretty cool!
I will build the schematic this week!

Thanks for all that helped me!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:22 am     Reply with quote

thiaguetz wrote:
mmm...

pretty cool!
I will build the schematic this week!

Thanks for all that helped me!

Worth repeating the comment made by another poster to consider a 'pre-built' adapter. For instance, Antec, do a little module for exactly this, which in the UK, cost £3.50. This gives 5v 500mA regulated out, with the cigar lighter plug and is allready boxed etc.. You'd be lucky to buy just the plug for the price!...
Some supplies of this type are so common, that the prices have no relationship to the amount of electronics inside.

Best Wishes
dvsoft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:12 am     Reply with quote

Bonjour

I use a power supply 12V battery for my Motorcycle logger
5V 1A Maxi 2%

1 Circuit protection
Polyswitch http://www.circuitprotection.com

2 Schottky diode 1N5822
3 Cap 10µF
4 Cap 100nF
5 Reg LM340A or MC7805
6 Cap 220 nf
7 Cap 100µF

Extra diode 1n4148 on 5 volt Regulator
Katode on pin 1 Anode on pin 3

for the analogique power supply i use PIE filter
cap 100nf
self 100µH
cap 100nF

ALain
burnsy

12 Car adapter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:31 am     Reply with quote

Another spin on this problem is to use a small switcher like in my seimens mobile phone adapter. It uses a MC34063 switcher ic. I use them a lot in the carwash industry (a very noisy environment) and they work great, no heat probems. Get the circuit staright out of the motorola data book and you're on your way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Since you are going to be working in an automotive environment there are a few things to remember when connecting a low power microcontroller to your car.

1. Before starting your engine, your 12V car battery supplies power. It's voltage can vary between 10.8V and 13.6V, during cold weather cranking it might even drop to 8V!

2. Once your car is running, the alternator or generator supplies the 12V power. If your alternator looses a regulator diode, which sometimes happens, the alternator voltage might fly up to 60v! There are also "Load Dump" and EMI issues but with a good DC-DC regulator you can handle the ugly stuff.

My suggestion is to take a look at switching regulator made for automotive applications. Maxim has a nice little 8-pin part, the MAX5035, which has an input voltage range of 7.5V to 76V, and will deliver 1A of current . You can choose 4 different fixed output voltage versions, and by adding a couple of voltage divider resistors, you can set your own.

The cool thing about Maxim is that you can order free samples from their website. If you talk to their technical apps guys, you might be able to get the schottky diode and inductor for free as well. If making a switching regulator PCB scares you, they also have a complete evaluation kit you can buy for minimal cost. www.maxim-ic.com

Good Luck!
neil

cheap cheap cheap!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Hello, I found a car cigarette lighter adapter for a gameboy in a cheap bargain shop this weekend. It cost (get this) 50p! I bought one and immediately took it apart (when I got home). It has a SP34063 (same as the MC34063, but made by "yingsemi"). This adapter puts out 3v at (I guess), about 0.5A. You can change its voltage by adjusting the values in the potential divider which sets o/p voltage.

So, for 50p, I got an adjustable power supply, packaged ready to use in a car!

You can also use the 34063 as a controller/driver IC for a much bigger power transistor, inductor and schottky and get several amps from it. I am considering adapting one to power my 19V laptop from the car.

Keep a lookout for game or mobile phone car adaptors. They are very simple, can often be adapted to give different voltage outputs and are nearly always dirt cheap!! Very Happy

Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: