CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

interesting and unexplain ext-int problem in P16F876

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamyip

interesting and unexplain ext-int problem in P16F876
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:47 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just discovered a very interesting problem with ext int which left me puzzle. Hopefully someone out there have had similar experience and be able to shed some light on it.

Compiler: PCW 3.007
PIC Target: PIC16F876

Problem:
1)Ext Int enabled
2)At some point of the program, ext int was trigger eventhough there is no external signal to trigger it.
3)How could this be happening?

Confused
Sample software:
Ext int was enabled as per:
INTCON &=~(1<<INTF);//make sure flag is reset
ext_int_edge(H_TO_L);
enable_interrupts(INT_EXT);
enable_interrupts(global);

//Interrupt subs are here
#int_ext
Ext_isr(){

restart_wdt();
fInt=TRUE;
}

//main program looks something like this
void main() {
int v_Data; //Rx IR code is store here

//Initialize all the needed memory and output
#include "init100.h"
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

while(TRUE){
restart_wdt();
s_CheckInt();
if(!fRoom){ //fRoom
Room=TRUE;
s_KeyTag(RoomOn);
s_KeyTag_Write(FALSE);
}
//check for remote control
v_Data = s_GetCode();
if (v_Data != 0xff){
s_CheckNo(v_Data); //check no
s_Time_ms(150);
}
}
}
[/b]
Ttelmah

Re: interesting and unexplain ext-int problem in P16F876
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:44 am     Reply with quote

kamyip wrote:
Hi,

I've just discovered a very interesting problem with ext int which left me puzzle. Hopefully someone out there have had similar experience and be able to shed some light on it.

Problem:
1)Ext Int enabled
2)At some point of the program, ext int was trigger eventhough there is no external signal to trigger it.

Confused
Sample software:
ext_int_edge(H_TO_L);

#int_ext
Ext_isr(){

restart_wdt();
fInt=TRUE;
}

void main() {

#include "init100.h"

while(TRUE){
restart_wdt();
s_CheckInt();
if(!fRoom){ //fRoom
Room=TRUE;
s_KeyTag(RoomOn);
s_KeyTag_Write(FALSE);
}
v_Data = s_GetCode();
if (v_Data != 0xff){
s_Time_ms(150);
}
}
}
[/b]

If you change the edge used on this interrupt, you may result in the internal flag being set. Hence, you should clear the interrupt flag before the global enable, and after setting the edge. It may be this that you are seeing, since it will result in a single call to the handler, as soon as the global interrupt is set (note that having the interrupt disabled when you change the edge, does not prevent the interrupt flag itself being set).
Hence add:
#bit INTF=0xB.1

Then after enabling this interrupt, but before the global enable, add:

INTF=0;

This may solve your problem.

Best Wishes
kamyip

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
kamyip wrote:
Hi,

Problem:
1)Ext Int enabled

Confused
Sample software:
ext_int_edge(H_TO_L);

#int_ext
Ext_isr(){

restart_wdt();
fInt=TRUE;
}

void main() {

#include "init100.h"

while(TRUE){
restart_wdt();
s_CheckInt();
if(!fRoom){ //fRoom
Room=TRUE;
s_KeyTag(RoomOn);
s_KeyTag_Write(FALSE);
}
v_Data = s_GetCode();
if (v_Data != 0xff){
s_Time_ms(150);
}
}
}
[/b]

If you change the edge used on this interrupt, you may result in the internal flag being set. Hence, you should clear the interrupt flag before the global enable, and after setting the edge. It may be this that you are seeing, since it will result in a single call to the handler, as soon as the global interrupt is set (note that having the interrupt disabled when you change the edge, does not prevent the interrupt flag itself being set).
Hence add:
#bit INTF=0xB.1

Then after enabling this interrupt, but before the global enable, add:

INTF=0;

This may solve your problem.

Best Wishes

Confused
I've gone thru the program again moving the reset ext int flag just before global int enable, the same probel crop-up. My observation as below:

1) Program goes into main() on power
2) initialization was with ext int and global int enable
3) After init it goes into while(TRUE){} super loop which has two major tasks
a. Check for a valid IR signal and send a corresponding command to a I2C device using a polling mechanism
b. Wait for an ext int signal from another i2c device and immediately act by reading from it and set a global flag accordingly

Discussion:
Program wise, I'd not expect any int to happen if threr is no int signal LOW to INT pin of PB0. In this case I have disconnected the outside int source completely and just tied the pin high.

Occasionally, with every valid IR code received and acted upon, SOMEHOW SOMETHING causes the program to goes into int and serviced the int routine. The main problem I've in debugging this problem is it seems to be intermitten which logically speaking made me worried.

Few thing I'm sure was:
1) No WDT reset - as I've turn off the WDT function
2) No other master rese t or POR or BOR was observed.

Have I miss out something?
Pls help
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Confused
I've gone thru the program again moving the reset ext int flag just before global int enable, the same probel crop-up. My observation as below:

a. Check for a valid IR signal and send a corresponding command to a I2C device using a polling mechanism
b. Wait for an ext int signal from another i2c device and immediately act by reading from it and set a global flag accordingly

Discussion:
Program wise, I'd not expect any int to happen if threr is no int signal LOW to INT pin of PB0. In this case I have disconnected the outside int source completely and just tied the pin high.

Occasionally, with every valid IR code received and acted upon, SOMEHOW SOMETHING causes the program to goes into int and serviced the int routine. The main problem I've in debugging this problem is it seems to be intermitten which logically speaking made me worried.

Few thing I'm sure was:

Pls help

1) Noise.
Could be supply noise, or pick-up on the input pin (depends how low the resistor value is pulling the signal high, and what wiring is attached to the pin). Where is the 5v 'source' for this, relative to the processors 5v connection?. Remember that the interrupt input will pick up tiny signal spikes, that are not easy to detect with a normal scope.
Branching to an unexpected address, is allmost 'classic' for HF supply noise. How are the chips Vdd connections made (having only one connected can cause this sort of behaviour)?. How is the supply rail regulated/decoupled?.

Best Wishes
kamyip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:36 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Quote:

Confused

Discussion:

Few thing I'm sure was:

Pls help

1) Noise.
Could be supply noise, or pick-up on the input pin (depends how low the resistor value is pulling the signal high, and what wiring is attached to the pin). Where is the 5v 'source' for this, relative to the processors 5v connection?. Remember that the interrupt input will pick up tiny signal spikes, that are not easy to detect with a normal scope.
Branching to an unexpected address, is allmost 'classic' for HF supply noise. How are the chips Vdd connections made (having only one connected can cause this sort of behaviour)?. How is the supply rail regulated/decoupled?.

Best Wishes

Hi again,
Very Happy

I'vd got the bug fixed. It is both a timing and flux case. Hopefully for those who are reading this , learn from my mistake and save yourself hours of torture. Let me explain:

1) Everytime a valid IR signal was decoded, a command was sent to SAA1064 I2c chip. The command looks like this START-Add-0x00-DataByte1-DataByte2-STOP
2) An Int will be generated when PCF8574 detected a change in its input and directed the processor to read the new pin status also I2C protocol

The problem starts after repeated command being sent to SAA1064. When i2c Tx buffer is not empty, that particular byte will just be skip. In this case the add byte was skip leaving only START-0x00-...

Now it just so happen that START-0x00 is a master address call to all I2c device which is why PCF8574 unknowing got involve and give me the uncalled for int!!

Solution:
Make sure the I2c tx buffer is empty before the next byte!
Idea

Anyway thanks for suggestion.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:42 am     Reply with quote

Read your orginal post. The information that you gave was misleading. An external int was generated. Also, there is no information about any of the stuff causing your problem! The lesson to be learned here is:

1. Give accurate information. Don't suppose anything.
2. Post a complete enough program that we can figure out the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: