CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

What's a good software to design a circuit board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

What's a good software to design a circuit board?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I need to design one, anyone got any good links on tips on designing one? Which is the easy to use software? it its free than thats better :-)

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:38 am     Reply with quote

ORCAD. It's about $9K

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Eagle. 80X100mm limited: free.
Full version for cca. $250.
PicFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:48 am     Reply with quote

A good place to start might be http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Free_cad_software.htm

Good quality boards and free software to design them with, even includes schematic capture application.

Best Regards,
PicFan
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:57 am     Reply with quote

EAGLE from CadSoft, they've got a free version which you can use to create a double sided 100x80mm board.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:04 am     Reply with quote

I'll add my vote for ExpressPCB. They are quick (you can get the board in 3-4 days), inexpensive (there is a bargain, where you can get 3 2-layer pcbs 2.5"x3.8" for $60 including shipping). They also produce 4-layer boards.

The only disadvantage is that their tools use proprietary format to store schematics and pcbs, and you will not be able to export them into any standard format.

Sincerely,
Nick

P.S. Neither I nor any of my relatives and friends work for express PCB.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

I've used the program called Pads for several years. It's rather expensive, about $4k for the full version but you can download Demo versions that are limited a little bit.

http://www.mentor.com/pads/

The Schematic program is called PowerLogic that will allow you to generate a schematic that will also port a netlist/parts library into a PCBoard program called PowerPCB. They also come with a pretty good library. Both demo programs are limited to 30 components and 65 unique nets. It will output to a printer or a CAM file. I have tried several different programs and have found this to be the most friendly one. Component creation isn't bad either.

Ronald
StuH_CC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

I use Easy-PC 8 ( www.numberone.com ). It's one of the most user-friendly PCB CAD systems available with standard outputs (Gerber, Excellon, ODB++ ).
Price depends on the functionality you need, it starts about UKP100. I use the 1000 pin version which comes complete with autorouter at about UKP200 - a cost/features balance which works for me.

A demo version is available for download - it's complete apart from most of the standard libraries, but won't save anything or plot anything.

I've tried the free ones, anything worthwhile tends to tie you to a particular PCB manufacturer and the others are either complete rubbish or severely restricted versions of the full program.

Stuart.
Thomas Blake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:38 am     Reply with quote

If you happen to be on Mac, use Douglas Layout Professional. I just finished an 8-layer card with about 950 I/O lines, using the 1mm BGA packages that Xilinx insists on using for their large arrays. (5-mil design rules.) It took about 5% of the time I would have invested in any of the previously-mentioned packages because of the fully Macintized interface. The downside is that you either have to use Douglas' manufacturing (good quality, but you can't shop the price around) or purchase a Gerber creator utility separately. I have done the latter. They do a Windows version but it sucks (slow, non-Windows feel).
treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

I use protel DXP. You can go from schematic, to sim to layout, route, and then to gerber manipulation through a camtastic interface.

They have alot of librarys,... but I still could use more.
dlc@frii.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

If you are a Macintosh user, look for Osmond. This is the easiest to
learn and use PCB layout software that I've ever used. However, I use
DesignWorks Pro to do my schematic capture, that is about $400.

DLC
http://www.techtoystoday.com
------------------------------------
Birdasaur

Protel's Libraries are key
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:56 am     Reply with quote

The board layout guy on my team uses Protel DXP. He says having moved to that from Orcad has saved him a TON of time. All the points that were mentioned above are quite valid, but he says its the libraries that help the most. Just drag and drop the part you need and it does the rest, 95% of th time.

There are freebie versions available for demo, but just remember that they're limited.
valemike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:40 am     Reply with quote

I either handdraw it or use PCAD just to draw the schematic. Then pay $1500-$2000 to have someone lay it out. Embarassed
valemike

PCB123.com
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:42 am     Reply with quote

PCB123.com is up and coming. There are a few bugs, but it does beat wiring up a breadboard.
Ttelmah

Re: What's a good software to design a circuit board?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I need to design one, anyone got any good links on tips on designing one? Which is the easy to use software? it its free than thats better :-)

Nick

On the basis of the last criterion, I'd suggest Eagle. The downloadable verson, is fine or many boards, and wins on price!.
Seriously, 'top' drafting packages, are designed to allow very fast development of complex boards, with design rule checking, automatic power planes, complex autorouting etc., but the prices of the best packages are somwhat 'extreme'.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: