CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

debugging a ICD1(orginal microchip) within PCW/PCWH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bissinger

debugging a ICD1(orginal microchip) within PCW/PCWH
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:32 am     Reply with quote

hello,
does anybody know, that there is a firmware for the original microchip ICD1 to use it within the PCW or PCH IDE ?
i want to use the debugging capabilities of PCW/PCWH and not the MPLAB IDE .
tank you
leo

Re: debugging a ICD1(orginal microchip) within PCW/PCWH
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

:=hello,
:=does anybody know, that there is a firmware for the original microchip ICD1 to use it within the PCW or PCH IDE ?
:=i want to use the debugging capabilities of PCW/PCWH and not the MPLAB IDE .
:=tank you
:=leo
The Microchip ICD1 has a 4mhz Xtal,a 16F876 and a Microchip bootloader. First download and install the CCS ICD PC software. Using the CCS ICD configure component of this software you can install the CCS ICDS firmware. The CCS debugger has alot more features and runs faster than Microchip ICD1 especially if you switch to 115kbs and unlike Microchip ICD1 it will support the 18 parts. You should find that not only is the ICD1 upgraded with ICDS faster than the ICD1 but it also is faster than Microchip's newer ICD2 especially if you switch to a 20Mhz xtal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Is there not a different version for the 4Mhz & the 20Mhz Version of the ICDS firmware.

I am looking for the 20Mhz Version.

Thanks in advance

:=:=hello,
:=:=does anybody know, that there is a firmware for the original microchip ICD1 to use it within the PCW or PCH IDE ?
:=:=i want to use the debugging capabilities of PCW/PCWH and not the MPLAB IDE .
:=:=tank you
:=:=leo
:=The Microchip ICD1 has a 4mhz Xtal,a 16F876 and a Microchip bootloader. First download and install the CCS ICD PC software. Using the CCS ICD configure component of this software you can install the CCS ICDS firmware. The CCS debugger has alot more features and runs faster than Microchip ICD1 especially if you switch to 115kbs and unlike Microchip ICD1 it will support the 18 parts. You should find that not only is the ICD1 upgraded with ICDS faster than the ICD1 but it also is faster than Microchip's newer ICD2 especially if you switch to a 20Mhz xtal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

A couple of questions:

1) Will a Microchip ICD1 take a 18F252 in place of the 16F876 and a 40MHz crystal and appropriate oscillator caps?

2) Would there be a useful difference in performance in flashing code tot he target and/or in debugging to make the conversion worthwhile?

Thanks

Al

:=:=hello,
:=:=does anybody know, that there is a firmware for the original microchip ICD1 to use it within the PCW or PCH IDE ?
:=:=i want to use the debugging capabilities of PCW/PCWH and not the MPLAB IDE .
:=:=tank you
:=:=leo
:=The Microchip ICD1 has a 4mhz Xtal,a 16F876 and a Microchip bootloader. First download and install the CCS ICD PC software. Using the CCS ICD configure component of this software you can install the CCS ICDS firmware. The CCS debugger has alot more features and runs faster than Microchip ICD1 especially if you switch to 115kbs and unlike Microchip ICD1 it will support the 18 parts. You should find that not only is the ICD1 upgraded with ICDS faster than the ICD1 but it also is faster than Microchip's newer ICD2 especially if you switch to a 20Mhz xtal.
Al Testani
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:29 am     Reply with quote

:=Is there not a different version for the 4Mhz & the 20Mhz Version of the ICDS firmware.
:=
:=I am looking for the 20Mhz Version.
The debugger has two components a bootloader that is specific to the xtal frequency and the firmware which performs the debugging interface.The boot loader needs to be flashed in separately since it can't download its own upgrade. You'd need to ask CCS for the 20Mhz boot loader code and you'd need a programmer (Picstart Warp) to flash it in. Failing that you should be able to download the 20 Mhz firmware with the 4 MHz xtal in place then swap the xtal and it should work at 20 mhz. However next time you need to download a firmware update you'll need to go back to the 4 mhz xtal for the bootloader to work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:15 am     Reply with quote

:=A couple of questions:
:=1) Will a Microchip ICD1 take a 18F252 in place of the 16F876 and a 40MHz crystal and appropriate oscillator caps?
:=2) Would there be a useful difference in performance in flashing code tot he target and/or in debugging to make the conversion worthwhile?
:=Thanks
:=Al

I've not done this but couldn't you use a 10 Mhz xtal and the PLL 4x multiplier and leave the caps alone.
As to the speed it seems the flashing speed is most likely limited by the specific Microchip device's flashing speed. Right now the 20 Mhz ICDS flashes in a few seconds even for a 18F8720. ICDS has many nice features including C level variable display. For example it will show structures either in total or by element. I would expect the speed to increase in the mouse over display of these with the 40 mhz clock. At 20 mhz it is still very good ( less than a few tenths of a second) You'll need to get a hold of the CCS 40mhz bootloader for downloading.
Although CCS has taken the 16F876 ICD a light year ahead of where Microchip chose to take it the 18F always has the advantage of more code space and that translates to even more advanced features going forward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:03 am     Reply with quote

:=:=A couple of questions:
:=:=
:=:=1) Will a Microchip ICD1 take a 18F252 in place of the 16F876 and a 40MHz crystal and appropriate oscillator caps?
:=:=2) Would there be a useful difference in performance in flashing code tot he target and/or in debugging to make the conversion worthwhile?
:=:=Thanks
:=:=Al
:=I've not done this but couldn't you use a 10 Mhz xtal and the PLL 4x multiplier and leave the caps alone.
:=As to the speed it seems the flashing speed is most likely limited by the specific Microchip device's flashing speed. Right now the 20 Mhz ICDS flashes in a few seconds even for a 18F8720. ICDS has many nice features including C level variable display. For example it will show structures either in total or by element. I would expect the speed to increase in the mouse over display of these with the 40 mhz clock. At 20 mhz it is still very good ( less than a few tenths of a second) You'll need to get a hold of the CCS 40mhz bootloader for downloading.
:=Although CCS has taken the 16F876 ICD a light year ahead of where Microchip chose to take it the 18F always has the advantage of more code space and that translates to even more advanced features going forward.

I'll venture a guess that the same bootloader is used for all three configurations. The PCWH install puts a single bootloader.hex file and the three (4, 20, 40MHz) ICD hex files in it. I'm guessing that I should be able to use a demo board with my current ICD and flash a target 18F252/40 with the bootloader.hex file and then move that part to the ICD board and let the debugger detect that the ICD code is wrong and flash in the rest.

Anyone know if there is a combined bootloader/ICD40 image file to be flashed in all at once?
Al Testani
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

:=:=:=A couple of questions:
:=:=:=
:=:=:=1) Will a Microchip ICD1 take a 18F252 in place of the 16F876 and a 40MHz crystal and appropriate oscillator caps?
:=:=:=2) Would there be a useful difference in performance in flashing code tot he target and/or in debugging to make the conversion worthwhile?
:=:=:=Thanks
:=:=:=Al
:=:=I've not done this but couldn't you use a 10 Mhz xtal and the PLL 4x multiplier and leave the caps alone.
:=:=As to the speed it seems the flashing speed is most likely limited by the specific Microchip device's flashing speed. Right now the 20 Mhz ICDS flashes in a few seconds even for a 18F8720. ICDS has many nice features including C level variable display. For example it will show structures either in total or by element. I would expect the speed to increase in the mouse over display of these with the 40 mhz clock. At 20 mhz it is still very good ( less than a few tenths of a second) You'll need to get a hold of the CCS 40mhz bootloader for downloading.
:=:=Although CCS has taken the 16F876 ICD a light year ahead of where Microchip chose to take it the 18F always has the advantage of more code space and that translates to even more advanced features going forward.
:=I'll venture a guess that the same bootloader is used for all three configurations. The PCWH install puts a single bootloader.hex file and the three (4, 20, 40MHz) ICD hex files in it. I'm guessing that I should be able to use a demo board with my current ICD and flash a target 18F252/40 with the bootloader.hex file and then move that part to the ICD board and let the debugger detect that the ICD code is wrong and flash in the rest.
:=Anyone know if there is a combined bootloader/ICD40 image file to be flashed in all at once?
As to one bootloader I'm not so sure. The bootloader for the 18F has to be different than the bootloader for the 16F. Since the bootloader picks up data via the serial port and typically the bootloader is bit banged the 4Mz and the 16 Mhz will be different but your right its possible to put both the 4 MHz and 16 mhz together in the 16F876. The speed of the line to the PC doesn't seem to matter a whole lot after a certain point. Thats maybe why the Microchip ICD2 USB is slower than the the ICD1 at 115kbs.
The usb has a wall of code to climb to get a packet out so its more suited to large packets but the debugger probably is just transfering a few tens of bytes to the PC on each command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: