CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

A small suggestion for CCS manual ....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flavio58

A small suggestion for CCS manual ....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:39 am     Reply with quote

<font face="Courier New" size=-1>Since in Micropchip PICxx datasheets all functions are explained using the registers...why in the CCS manual, near the compiler functions, you don't write the concerned register setting ?
This is because if you don't known the pic usage as first step you see the datasheet.
As example, about my last problem with pic oscillator, in PIC18F452 datasheet I saw that to activate the quartz oscillator on timer1 I must set the T1CON register.
In CCS manual about timer1 I saw setup_timer_1() funtion but now I don't' known if I this function set correctly this register of if I must to use the register setting using #bit or #byte directive .....
Another example ?
In CCS manual I saw the set_timer1() function...
This function do the same of setting the TMR1 register ?</font>

Re: A small suggestion for CCS manual ....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:47 am     Reply with quote

:=<font face="Courier New" size=-1>Since in Micropchip PICxx datasheets all functions are explained using the registers...why in the CCS manual, near the compiler functions, you don't write the concerned register setting ?
:=This is because if you don't known the pic usage as first step you see the datasheet.
:=As example, about my last problem with pic oscillator, in PIC18F452 datasheet I saw that to activate the quartz oscillator on timer1 I must set the T1CON register.
:=In CCS manual about timer1 I saw setup_timer_1() funtion but now I don't' known if I this function set correctly this register of if I must to use the register setting using #bit or #byte directive .....
:=Another example ?
:=In CCS manual I saw the set_timer1() function...
:=This function do the same of setting the TMR1 register ?</font>

Ask CCS...
This board, _is not_ CCS. It is a group of users, who post to help individuals (and sometimes to hinder them... :-).
Improvements to the manual, are a common 'theme' here (most of use have at one time or another, pointed out that the manual is not really 'up to the job).
Any questions that are 'to CCS', should be sent directly to them, rather than posted here.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:37 am     Reply with quote

:=<font face="Courier New" size=-1>Since in Micropchip PICxx datasheets all functions are explained using the registers...why in the CCS manual, near the compiler functions, you don't write the concerned register setting ?
:=This is because if you don't known the pic usage as first step you see the datasheet.
:=As example, about my last problem with pic oscillator, in PIC18F452 datasheet I saw that to activate the quartz oscillator on timer1 I must set the T1CON register.
:=In CCS manual about timer1 I saw setup_timer_1() funtion but now I don't' known if I this function set correctly this register of if I must to use the register setting using #bit or #byte directive .....
The C code hides the underlying machine instructions. This is good but in order to better understand what is going on you might choose to learn to look at the assembly code in the .lst file produced by the compiler. CCS interleaves the c code line and below shows the assembly instructions that implement that line. In its symbolic form the lst file will name the registers and variables it uses rather than their aboslute physical locations. I learned a few years back from this board that it often was possible to answer 99\% of the questions I had by this approach. For the 1\% that were left I am still gratefull that PCM programmer could answer them. Good news is that there are a limited number of assembly instructions so the learning curve can be short for most people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:41 am     Reply with quote

That is the very reason why I don't use the "built in" functions. If CCS provided the source code so that I could see it, I might be more inclined to use it. You shouldn't have to look at the assembly to know what is going on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:00 am     Reply with quote

:=That is the very reason why I don't use the "built in" functions. If CCS provided the source code so that I could see it, I might be more inclined to use it. You shouldn't have to look at the assembly to know what is going on.
:=

But the listing does give you the source code, unless there is a "real" source written in C which I doubt. I would assume the functions are just assembly macros.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:50 am     Reply with quote

You mean like this

#define make_16bit(data,var1,var2) {_asm \
MOVFF &var1, (&data+1) \
MOVFF &var2, &data \
_endasm}

They can still show it in a file. I shouldn't have to parse a lst file for it. And if it is wrong, then you can fix it! How many times has these "macros" been incorrect? Quite a few if I remember correctly.

:=:=That is the very reason why I don't use the "built in" functions. If CCS provided the source code so that I could see it, I might be more inclined to use it. You shouldn't have to look at the assembly to know what is going on.
:=:=
:=But the listing does give you the source code, unless there is a "real" source written in C which I doubt. I would assume the functions are just assembly macros.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: