CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD-U Not Driving 13V on custom mainboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kien Tran

ICD-U Not Driving 13V on custom mainboard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.

I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.

From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip

Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?

Thanks

Re: ICD-U Not Driving 13V on custom mainboard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=Hello,
:=
:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:04 am     Reply with quote

:=Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=:=Hello,
:=:=
:=:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=:=Thanks
Put a meter across the '47k' resistor, and verify you don't have a short here. If the resistor was (say) 47R by mistake, or there was a solder bridge, it'd prevent the pin being pulled to Vihh, and programming mode being triggered.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Everything is connected appropriately. The only thing across RB7/6/3 is the ICD itself.

Here are the readings when I first put the ICD in. RB7/6 and MCLR are +5 and RB3 is GND.

From leaving the MCLR line untied to anything during programing, I see that even if there's nothing tied to it, the ICD does not pull it up. Yet, on the CCS board, it does.

Any thoughts?

I've tried driving the chip using an extra 12V adapter, and the ICD program occasionaly recognizes the chip, but yets to program.

:=:=Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=:=:=Hello,
:=:=:=
:=:=:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=:=:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=:=:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=:=:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=:=:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=:=:=Thanks
:=Put a meter across the '47k' resistor, and verify you don't have a short here. If the resistor was (say) 47R by mistake, or there was a solder bridge, it'd prevent the pin being pulled to Vihh, and programming mode being triggered.
:=Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:48 am     Reply with quote

:=Everything is connected appropriately. The only thing across RB7/6/3 is the ICD itself.
:=Here are the readings when I first put the ICD in. RB7/6 and MCLR are +5 and RB3 is GND.
:=From leaving the MCLR line untied to anything during programing, I see that even if there's nothing tied to it, the ICD does not pull it up. Yet, on the CCS board, it does.
:=Any thoughts?
Is the code absolutely identical?. It'd behave like this (and fail to program, because it'd need the RB3 connection), if the code was switching to LVP mode...

Best Wishes

:=I've tried driving the chip using an extra 12V adapter, and the ICD program occasionaly recognizes the chip, but yets to program.
:=:=:=Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=:=:=:=Hello,
:=:=:=:=
:=:=:=:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=:=:=:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=:=:=:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=:=:=:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=:=:=:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=:=:=:=Thanks
:=:=Put a meter across the '47k' resistor, and verify you don't have a short here. If the resistor was (say) 47R by mistake, or there was a solder bridge, it'd prevent the pin being pulled to Vihh, and programming mode being triggered.
:=:=Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Using the same hex file for both parts. I might try moving to a breadboard if this keeps up. I'm oiut of ideas as to what the problem could be.

:=:=Everything is connected appropriately. The only thing across RB7/6/3 is the ICD itself.
:=:=Here are the readings when I first put the ICD in. RB7/6 and MCLR are +5 and RB3 is GND.
:=:=From leaving the MCLR line untied to anything during programing, I see that even if there's nothing tied to it, the ICD does not pull it up. Yet, on the CCS board, it does.
:=:=Any thoughts?
:=Is the code absolutely identical?. It'd behave like this (and fail to program, because it'd need the RB3 connection), if the code was switching to LVP mode...
:=Best Wishes
:=:=I've tried driving the chip using an extra 12V adapter, and the ICD program occasionaly recognizes the chip, but yets to program.
:=:=:=:=Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=:=:=:=:=Hello,
:=:=:=:=:=
:=:=:=:=:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=:=:=:=:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=:=:=:=:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=:=:=:=:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=:=:=:=:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=:=:=:=:=Thanks
:=:=:=Put a meter across the '47k' resistor, and verify you don't have a short here. If the resistor was (say) 47R by mistake, or there was a solder bridge, it'd prevent the pin being pulled to Vihh, and programming mode being triggered.
:=:=:=Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

:=Hello,
:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=Thanks

I can't use mine for production either. I don't think it's an operator error because the ICD2 works in the same circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

I had the same problem. The ICD-U wouldn't program the chip on my custom board. Almost everyone uses an R/C on the MCLR pin. (such as a 10k and a 0.1uF cap) This circuit keeps the micro from reseting if there's a noise spike. However the ICD-U can't seem to drive the 0.1uF cap. I removed the cap and now can program/debug no problem. However I'll probably need to add the capacitor back again. Perhaps a smaller cap would work 0.01uf.

Mike

:=Using the same hex file for both parts. I might try moving to a breadboard if this keeps up. I'm oiut of ideas as to what the problem could be.
:=:=:=Everything is connected appropriately. The only thing across RB7/6/3 is the ICD itself.
:=:=:=Here are the readings when I first put the ICD in. RB7/6 and MCLR are +5 and RB3 is GND.
:=:=:=From leaving the MCLR line untied to anything during programing, I see that even if there's nothing tied to it, the ICD does not pull it up. Yet, on the CCS board, it does.
:=:=:=Any thoughts?
:=:=Is the code absolutely identical?. It'd behave like this (and fail to program, because it'd need the RB3 connection), if the code was switching to LVP mode...
:=:=Best Wishes
:=:=:=I've tried driving the chip using an extra 12V adapter, and the ICD program occasionaly recognizes the chip, but yets to program.
:=:=:=:=:=Did you connect all VDD and Vss sources? Is anything connected to RB7 or RB6?
:=:=:=:=:=:=Hello,
:=:=:=:=:=:=
:=:=:=:=:=:=I've been using both the premade prototypeing boards from CCS and I am wanting to move to a demo production board that supports serial programing using the ICD.
:=:=:=:=:=:=I have built a basic board with the 16f877 chip, an occilator attached, 47K pull up tied to the MCLR and all the appropriate wires from the ICD-u tied to the chip.
:=:=:=:=:=:=From what I can gather, the ICD interface program is not able to detect the chip. I've gone into manual mode to explicitly select the appropriate chip and attempt to write it. It states it writes it but fails verification. Upon examination, it does not write anything to the chip
:=:=:=:=:=:=Upon further testing, I've found that the ICD-U does not generate the 13V required to program the chip. It does generate this voltatage on programing the CCS boards though, so I know the ICD-U works properly.
:=:=:=:=:=:=Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I may try?
:=:=:=:=:=:=Thanks
:=:=:=:=Put a meter across the '47k' resistor, and verify you don't have a short here. If the resistor was (say) 47R by mistake, or there was a solder bridge, it'd prevent the pin being pulled to Vihh, and programming mode being triggered.
:=:=:=:=Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: