CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Embedded programming course/book with step-by-step inst?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy

Embedded programming course/book with step-by-step inst?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

I have a client who wants to train his pro Windows programmer to work with PIC & CCS. She doesn't have much experience with hardware but she's a talented, experienced programmer.
Can you recommend an online course or book which takes you all the way through dev. tools, debug techniques, coding etc.?
Thanks!!
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

For some reason I'm running afoul of the site's filters. Google "Embedded C Programming and the Microchip PIC" by Barnett, Cox and O'Cull. A little dated, but a fantastic book.
temtronic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Well reading alone won't cut it ! Get a good 'proto/developement board', something that can accept whatever peripherals your project requires.
Something like the PIC18F46K22 would be a very good PIC to learn on. It's got lots of flash, ram, I/O, etc. and a 'stable' product. Obviously reading the datasheet is a must, though I admit the 500+ pages does get a bit tedious, it's THERE that you begin to understand HOW PICs work. From there, I suggest learning assembler THEN progress to CCS C.
Learn the basics, build upon them.
guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:34 am     Reply with quote

newguy is there a suitable dev. board for the book? Does the book include step-by-step installation and HW setup instructions?
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

In my early days I used the Lab-X1 from ME Labs. For some reason every time I try to include a link lately, my post is automatically "wiped", so you're going to be forced to google that.

Honestly, the book, an ICD-U64 (DON'T get the ICD-U80!!!!) and a decent prototyping board is all you really need. Just hook it all up and start to play. The thing about the book that I greatly admired was the way they introduced a practical problem (the central topic of the book is a control system/display for an electric bicycle), broke it apart into manageable "chunks" and attacked the problem in a logical manner. They also dealt with interrupts at every turn - something that newbies are afraid of for some reason.

One thing to note, however, is that the Lab-X1 is a 5V board (requires a 5V compliant PIC). I'm sure that there are 3.3V prototyping alternatives now, but haven't really looked at anything like that in ages. The 5V/3.3V issue will bite you if you want to incorporate, for example, an SD card or some type of sensor/IC that is only available in 3.3V form. Can't directly hook that to a 5V board.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

CCS has a book and development board bundle:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/product_info.php?products_id=e3mini-book
It includes a single-chip version of the CCS IDE that works with the
18F14K50 on the development board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: