CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

mplabx prjMakefileGenerator and CCSC plugin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shimpossible

mplabx prjMakefileGenerator and CCSC plugin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

I'm trying to build a CCSC mplabx project from the command line. prjMakefileGenerator.bat is supposed to take the nbproject directory and build the makefiles based on it.

I get the following errors when I try

Unrecognized language toolchain: CCSC

and then at the bottom

[Configuration Loading Error] error: Configuration "default" builds with "CCSC", but no toolchains of that type are installed.
[Configuration Loading Error] Errors have occurred while loading one or more configurations.

If I switch the project to the xc8 compiler it works fine.

Has anyone been successful in using CCSC with prjMakefileGenerator?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 am     Reply with quote

Have you actually installed the CCSC plug-in, and got the project to compile with this in MPLAB?.
shimpossible

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
Have you actually installed the CCSC plug-in, and got the project to compile with this in MPLAB?.

I'm able to compile and build just fine in the IDE. Its when I try this batch file I run into problems.

Are you implying it works for you?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

OK.
It means that somewhere in the install the configuration stuff is not fully installed. Have a look at this thread, which is the same problem for the HiTech compiler:
<https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/mplabx-hitech-c-issues/>
You have the compiler plug-in installed, but the toolchain is not there in the build tools.
There should be a MPLAB option somewhere to rescan for toolchains.

As a comment though, why bother?.

CCS itself has at it's core a command line compiler. Just make a .bat or .cmd file with a line like:

CCSC +FD +P5 yoursourcefilename

This will then compile 'yoursourcefilename', without all the complexity of launching Java, calling the MPLAB engine in this, which then calls the CCS compiler from this. It'll probably run at least twice as fast....
shimpossible

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am     Reply with quote

I've a lot of files in the project. Was planning on reusing the makefile that mplabx gives you instead of coding a new one from hand. Maybe I'll end up doing that instead.

The link you sent isn't clear if their error in in the IDE or the command line. I've seen a similar error in the IDE, if CCSC plugin isn't installed correctly. But I don't get that error in the IDE, only from the command line.

I've tried changing the compiler to a made up 'custom' compiler and everything works fine. Switching to XC8 or MASM works. But when I try CCSC it does not work.

To be clear, I'm using mplabx v4.20. prjMakefileGenerator is broken in v4.15, and also appears broken in v5.0.

I was able to use v4.20 prjMakefileGenerator for other compilers. Its just CCSC that fails.

What I really want to know is if anyone has successfully used prjMakefileGenerator with the CCSC plugin. If no one has ever been able to use it, there is no point in my trying.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Surely the number of files doesn't matter. The main will include all the files it needs.

It _used_ to work. I know somebody who did use it a few months ago. However there are lots of reports of it failing in various ways on later compilers, even in some cases with MicroChip's own compilers. The other trick that applied in some cases was to uninstall and then re-install the plug in. Adding manually to the toolchain has also applied in some cases.
shimpossible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:17 am     Reply with quote

I got it to work. I had to run the prjMakefileGenerator.jar manually and add the ccs compiler plugin to the class path, and set the netbeans.user property.

Apparently the ccs plugin was never being loading when ran from the command line. Which accounts for the first error.

"Unrecognized language toolchain: CCSC"

The second error "error: Configuration "default" builds with "CCSC", but the support for this toolchain type is not installed", meant it wasn't setup. This was because prjMakefileGenerator.jar wasn't loading the user settings properly. Adding "netbeans.user" allows it to do this and everything works.

I tried this on v5.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: