CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Curiosity Development Board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjuggles

Curiosity Development Board
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Curiosity Development Board. Does the CCS IDE support programming and debugging using the debugger built into this board?

There are options for ICD, ICD2, ICD3, PICKit 3, Real-Ice, and MicroStick II.

I tried PICKit 3 because the board shows up with a (PKOB) label in MPLAB X IDE and my guess was that it might mean "PIC Kit on Board".

Thank you,

Mark
RF_Developer

Re: Curiosity Development Board
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:06 am     Reply with quote

markjuggles wrote:
my guess was that [PKOB] might mean "PIC Kit on Board".

Yes, the datasheets show that's what it means. They also say that you need at least MPLAB X 3.05 (I think) to support this board. That means its not a pure emulation of a PicKit, but something new and different.

This board seem to have been available for about a year, but I think it will take time for CCS C to provide support for it, if indeed it ever does. For now, it appears you're going to have to use MPLAB X :-(
dyeatman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:46 am     Reply with quote

From the schematic it appears that P1 on the board is the ICD connector.
If you populate that you should be able to use the ICD and CCS (U64)
programmers and CCS software. I have done this kind of thing on
numerous boards, in some cases adding my own connections.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

Over the last few days I tried to get my MACHX and ICD40 to communicate with the board and was not able to. I populated the connector, P1, and I was not even able to read the chip ID. I tried to power the board from a different power source and not power up the USB interface on the Curiosity board but the built in PIC is still hanging on the lines. If I kept it powered up through the USB it still would not work. So I am rather disappointed.

Microchip did not show the schematic for the interface so it is difficult to tell what is going on to be able to separate the built in programmer. I cannot tell if trace cuts are a possibility because it is not easy to tell where the traces go. They did not make provisions to easily do it.

Dave T.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 am     Reply with quote

OK I don't have that board but downloaded some stuff from uC. This stood out..
THE MCU WILL NOT PROGRAM USING THE PICkit 3
If the PIC device will not program using the PICkit 3, ensure that the 3.3/5V jumper
(J12) is removed.

from 40001804A.

So I wonder if that's the cause ?

I don't think uC would shoot there own foot,offering a product that isn't compatible with theirIDE and programmer. Since this board is mearly a PCB to hold the PIC, any PIC(?) it 'should' work .

Now I'm 'curious' !!

Jay
DaveThib

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:53 am     Reply with quote

That is one of the things I tried. I removed the jumper and connected power from an external source and it would not program.
I also tried to power the board from the MACHX and no luck.
The voltages did not look right. This is where I think the on-board programmer is pulling down the lines. Using the diagnostics I could not raise the PGC or PGD lines. They were sitting pretty much at ground and when I would force them to VDD it would go up maybe a couple of hundred millivolts. It looked like something else was pulling it down.
That is why I applied power to the USB jack because it could be that an unpowered device was sitting on the line and loading it down. It made no difference either way.
I really wish they would put the entire schematic in the user guide.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:07 am     Reply with quote

hmm.. the version I posted has a schematic, appendix A. Are you saying it's not complete?
Looks like the ICSP connector in the lower left,so if you set the PK3 to supply power then the PK3 should power and program the PIC on the board. Providing they haven't done anything weird amost any PIC should be programmed.
My setup is CCS PCM -> MPLABv886-->PK3--> 18f46k22(or others)

wish I had one of those boards to play with..

edit: gee maybe not. looking at the schematic I have to wonder WHAT is uC doing ? I can't find any reference as to where the USB data goes..WHAT does DNP mean ( Do Not Populate ??),WHERE does Power good PK3 goes? I'm guessing the opamp mcp6561 is to switch between extpwr and USB?
Also there's a lot of text about LVP
raising a lot of questions over HOW this board CAN work !

now I'm not to sure I want one of them...
Jay

Last edited by temtronic on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveThib

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:20 am     Reply with quote

No, It is nowhere near complete. There is a large PIC and a FTDI chip for USB plus all the regulators and other components. Look over the schematic and none of that is shown. The on-board PIC is attached to the programming pins and the connector P1 is also on those same lines. It should be possible to somehow disconnect the on-board PIC but without pictures of the layout and schematics it is tough to do. I have not had time to try to figure it out.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Yikes what a 'can of worms' ! Well, that kills my interest in the board. I have the 'feeling' they use USB to program the 'target' PIC through the 'magical', not shown FTDI and PIC. That also suggests another 'layer' to get data from your PIC to the USB port, NOT a good idea. I know uC has taken a big hit in NOT having an well laid out, entry level PCB for guys to design/play with so the other guys ( Arduino / Mikrow) have a huge market share.Seems to me someone could/should develop such a board but I'm too old to do so and losing interest fast.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: