CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Microchip ICD3 used as a programmer in CCS PIC C Compiler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrixofdynamism

Microchip ICD3 used as a programmer in CCS PIC C Compiler
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:50 am     Reply with quote

I am using version 5 of the CCS PIC C Compiler. I have also downloaded the "MPLAB® ICD2, MPLAB® ICD3, MPLAB® PICkit3 & MPLAB® REAL ICE™ Interface" from http://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads.php. However, inspite of this when I try to program my PIC18F microcontroller using ICD3 by clicking on the GUI button in CCS PIC C software, the download does not work. It says download failed.

I have used the microchip's programmer with ICD3 and I am able to use it successfully. However, the CCS PIC C software is always giving me download fail message.

Does ICD3 even support for programming PIC18F microcontroller in CCS PIC C? Should I just move to MPLAB X instead?
RF_Developer

Re: Microchip ICD3 used as a programmer in CCS PIC C Compile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 am     Reply with quote

matrixofdynamism wrote:
I have also downloaded the "MPLAB® ICD2, MPLAB® ICD3, MPLAB® PICkit3 & MPLAB® REAL ICE™ Interface" from http://www.ccsinfo.com/downloads.php.

Does ICD3 even support for programming PIC18F microcontroller in CCS PIC C? Should I just move to MPLAB X instead?

Works fine for me. I use CCS IDE 5, which I prefer to use with a CCS Load-n-Go programmer. I also have an ICD3, which I use with the add-on/plug in, and that works fine for programming and debugging. There are a few limitations, issues and inconveniences with using it in the CCS IDE, but its quite usable. Conversely, MPLAB simply doesn't support any CCS programmer.

I prefer to program the via ICD3 from MPLAB 8.92, the last non-X version. I don't like MPLAB-X in so many ways. I prefer to use CCSLOAD for the Load-n-Go. We use the Load-n-Go as our front line production/service programmer, with the ICD3s kept in reserve in case of problems - such as the Load-n-Go not properly programming with the EEPROM on PIC18F66K80 family devices.

Your download link - the one in this thread, doesn't work as it has an extra dot at the end.
matrixofdynamism

Re: Re
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Under the "compile tab" we have two icons for "target chip". One of these is "program chip" while the other is "debug".

When I click on the small downward arrow for program chip it gives me a few options. One of these is ICD. I do not see ICD3 in it.

Is there some sort of setup that we need to do before we can use ICD3 from within the CCS PIC C Compiler?

I have installed MPLAB X on my machine but found this http://embeddedgurus.com/stack-overflow/2011/09/an-open-letter-to-the-developers-of-the-mplab-ide/ and many comments from other people that are truly fed up of the MPLAB X software.

Since this open letter was made public, has Microchip done anything to improve their IDE for their PIC? Is it still truly crap?

I know of 3 tools, MPLAB X, CCS PIC C and the Mikroe PIC C compiler. Which of these is the best that I must stick with forever?
RF_Developer

Re: Re
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 am     Reply with quote

matrixofdynamism wrote:
Under the "compile tab" we have two icons for "target chip". One of these is "program chip" while the other is "debug".

This does not matter. This is NOT where you select the programmer/debugger. Be aware that things like the ICD3 are dual purpose: they are programmers and debuggers. The two functions are separate and supported differently.

Quote:

When I click on the small downward arrow for program chip it gives me a few options. One of these is ICD. I do not see ICD3 in it.

This invokes CCSLOAD, CCS's programming application. CCSLOAD does NOT support Microchip programmers such as the ICD3. To program use Microchip's own software, i.e. MPLAB.

The CCS IDE supports debugging with ICD3 and other Microchip programmer/debuggers via the plug-in. To do that, use the down arrow to select the required debugger on the Debug option on the Compile menu or the Enable option on the Debug menu. This is better than MPLAB, which doesn't support CCS programmers at all.

Quote:

Is there some sort of setup that we need to do before we can use ICD3 from within the CCS PIC C Compiler?

To program you have to use the relevant manufacturers software. To debug you can use the CCS IDE.

Quote:
Since this open letter was made public, has Microchip done anything to improve their IDE for their PIC?

Don't know. I gave up trying to use MPLAB a long while ago. By the way, the letter is four years old and refers to the non-X MPLAB.

Quote:
Is it still truly crap?

That depends on your point of view. Arugably it is usable, and probably is required as some new PICs probably are only supported by MPLAB-X. I don't know if the newer Microchip compilers are fully supported by non-X MPLAB.

Quote:
I know of 3 tools, MPLAB X, CCS PIC C and the Mikroe PIC C compiler. Which of these is the best that I must stick with forever?

Do you really need to ask this on a CCS forum, full of (mostly) happy CCS C users? Obviously the answer we will give is CCS C! Many users here use the CCS C compiler in the old MPLAB and don't like the CCS IDE. Some use the command line version. Personally I prefer the CCS IDE, and keep MPLAB for programming back-up only.
matrixofdynamism

Re: Re: Re
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Well you have answered the question then. I will go for CCS PIC C Compiler. I actually did not know that I cannot use CCS PIC C Compiler to program PIC Microcontroller using ICD3. I came to know that just now. So thanks for that.

I have used Visual Studio in the past. When I moved to using the CCS PIC C Compiler and the MPLAB, the IDE felt very ... well primitive and less user friendly. But I am used to it now. I do wonder why we don't have PIC support in the eclipse IDE.

Getting to my main question, what advice would you give a person new to CCS PIC C Compiler? Are there some things I need to be on careful about. I just now realized that I can't use ICD3 to program PICs using CCS C Compiler. Are there some other things as well that I would benefit from right now?
matrixofdynamism

ICD3 not working as debugger also!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

I have programmed my microcontroller using the Microchip software, it merely involves copying across the hex file. However, when it comes to debug I am stuck.

Once I enable debug mode, the CCS C Compiler compiles my program again with debug capability added to it. When I now use the Microchip's "Integrated Programming Environment" it says ""The imported hex file contains debug information and has been cleared by MPLABX IPE.".

On the other hand, if I merely click on the debug button in the MPLAB IDE and choose MPLABX ICD3 if first gives me a dialog to choose a file saying "Select JRE directory". JRE is Java Runtime Environment. Once I select any directory whether it be actual JRE directory or not, I get an error message saying "Target could not be detected".

There are then 2 options, either click on "run diagnostics" or click on "ok". If I click on "run diagnostics" the next error message says "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142). Click OK to close the application".

This is not looking good Sad

Anybody knows what is going on here?

By the way, how much does CCS C Compiler compatible programmer/debugger cost?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
when I try to program my PIC18F microcontroller

What's your exact PIC ?
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

If you are in the CCS IDE and a compile with debug is selected the CCS compiler adds debug code to the end of the PIC chips flash. The debug code added via the CCS IDE is specific to debugging using the CCS ICD-U64 and the CCS IDE. The CCS debugger provides a monitor and mouse over views of variables when a break point is reached.
MPLAB debugging is different...it could be you are confusing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: